Hospital fines for mixed sex wards

Ju_bubbs

Proud single Mummy of 5!
Reaction score
I've just come across this story..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-13469820

Am I the only one that thinks that is completely rediculous!? What exactly do they think they are going to achieve by taking £11k from a hospital!? It's not exactly going to help the bed shortage now, is it!?

I dont know about anyone else, but if I ever needed to stay in hospital, i'd prefer to be in a bed next to a man, than be told I can't have a bed!!

seems a bit pointless to me :shrug: Who are the fines paid to? back to the NHS? things like this is why some hospitals end up much worse than others cos their budget gets shot to bits.

Hospitals are 90% rules regulations and box ticking rather than treatment these days. As everything to the goverment needs measurinin cold numbers (cos numbers dont lie)

On one hand, no it isnt helping anyone. I think mixed sex wards are fine, in the most part. The staff have the 'right' attitude that is better to treat outside the guidlines than not treat at all.
£250 is more a token fine. The hospital my Mum works in cost 1 million a day to keep it doors open.

Yes the goverment needs to totally reform the NHS but in reality it is such a complex beast that trying to fix it could break it

Thats a bit stupid, that definitely won't help with the bed shortage! And I don't see what the problem is with mixed sex wards anyway, they're all mixed sex here (apart from gynacology and prenatal/antenatal of course)

I dont actually think there should be mixed wards, but the idea of fining is just stupid, the should put the money into expanding the wards if its a case of beds shortage :shrug:

We have a mixed sex ward but its not mixed sex bays and we dont have the old school nightinggale wards.

We have a mixed sex ward but its not mixed sex bays and we dont have the old school nightinggale wards.

See that wouldnt bother me, as the bays are same sexed :thumbup:

Exactly! Youre in a different room might aswell be a different floor!

But if we didnt have the fines Then there wouldnt be a job for the person collecting the fines/checking the wards/doing the admin. Could you imagine getting rid of the fines, and all thoese other people and say buying anurse and a bed :dohh:

There are so places in te NHS where it is so very clear that they are not necessary. However it tends to be the places where the goverment is like a controling partner and they just wont let frigging go!

The wards here are divided into two and three bed rooms and you might end up single sex in the room or you might end up mixed. I mostly shared with men while I was in the hospital and it didn't bother me, I just kept the curtain between the beds drawn all the time and made sure I had control of the tv remote :haha:

I'm sure any person who rather have a bed in the hospital even if it meant mixed wards.

Fining for mixed sexed wards is silly. As their Trust spokesman said - they won't turn anyone away for the sake of having a bed on ward with the opposite sex it.

Mixed bays I can understand a little bit more. But to be honest, if I am ill and need treatment, I don't care who is on my ward as long as I get treatment. It's weird though - men come in to visit other patients on a female ward and vice versa. I don't know if it would bother even bother me to be on a mixed-sex bay.

Fining for mixed sexed wards is silly. As their Trust spokesman said - they won't turn anyone away for the sake of having a bed on ward with the opposite sex it.

Mixed bays I can understand a little bit more. But to be honest, if I am ill and need treatment, I don't care who is on my ward as long as I get treatment. It's weird though - men come in to visit other patients on a female ward and vice versa. I don't know if it would bother even bother me to be on a mixed-sex bay.

yes but the patient isnt on a commode behind the curtain or having a PR exam or a catheter inserted when a visitor is in. I would hate to be next to a man if I was in a vunerable position like that :(

I think fining is stuff, but I dont agree with same sex bays. I have been in them and they are not very nice, i was scared by one man in particular let alone the two little old ladies who were in the bay with us.

i dont mind the whole ward being mixed if the bay im in is just women lol if you have say 4x4bed bays on a 16bed ward then it would make sense to divide them as nessacary so female and male bays rather than mix them there are cultral reasons as well why it wouldnt be acceptable to some people,

I think you have to think of those who may be vunerble- there is a whole range of people that could fall under that category that need protection. x

Pretty sure it's all mixed sex here. I have never noticed! Hmm!

Any Canadians know?

Usually when I go to the hospital, I am stuck out in the hall, in a gown thats too short, with my hoo haw hanging out, and there are plenty of men hanging out.

yes but the patient isnt on a commode behind the curtain or having a PR exam or a catheter inserted when a visitor is in. I would hate to be next to a man if I was in a vunerable position like that :(

Obviously you haven't had the pleasure of my local hospital..I was admitted and during visiting hour (on a bay of 5 other patients all of whom had at least one visitor) I was told the DR was coming to see me. He then came and proceeded to stick his hand (ok a finger maybe lol) up my bum to check for something. Most mortifying thing.Ever! Ok, the curtains were drawn but they would of all herd him tell me exactly wheat he was about to do :blush:
So glad I was moved off that ward in the early hours of the next morning lol..

Back to topic!
Here we have mixed wards but split into bays of 6 with same sex in..thats fine with me. The acute ward (the one you go to if admitted from a&e to wait for a 'real' ward to take you) is mixed bays and it was awful. I was there with 4 men, a Lady and me..one of the Men was vile and kept shouting me and calling me darling and stuff..I was really ill at the time dosed up on morphine but scared stiff to go to sleep whilst this Man was randomly shouting at me. I dont think they should be fined for it as that will make issues worse but in the whole I dont think that over 18's should be mixed sexed wherever possible..

i was just gonna say when i was in hospital with pneumonia i was in a bed between 2 men.. then i remembered that's because i was in admissions for the duration of my stay, except when i was in HDU. joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->