Hot wheels sets - which ones to buy/avoid?

Bid

Reaction score
DS (nearly 5) has seen hot wheels advertised on TV and has added them to his Santa list. So far I've avoided them because I've heard they fall to bits easy and are generally rubbish. But now he's actually asked for them I'll need to bite the bullet. Argos have a few sets half price - garage with ten cars for £35, and the 10 in 1 track set for £20 (links below).

Looking online these seem to be good prices and get OK reviews (although argos seem to be the only ones selling that particular garage). Are there any other sets worth looking at in addition to (or instead of) these ones?

https://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/2811503.htm

https://www.argos.co.uk/m/static/Product/partNumber/5639593.htm

We bought DS1 the hot wheels spin storm from Argos for his 5th birthday two weeks ago. Him and his two year old brother love it. It shoots the cars round (needs batteries) and they like to see how many cars they can get going at once before they crash. Did only come with one car though but I've seen the packs of 7 reduced to £4.50 in sainsburys this morning. Not at all flimsy and has stood two weeks so far with my two who are quite heavy handed! We've bought a few more sets for Christmas so hoping they're good too. He had the mega hauler too for his birthday which is good for keeping the cars in. I got it for £15 on Amazon but seen it in sainsburys for £10.

Just as an idea of size, this is the mega car garage set from Argos

https://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab117/kirstybumx3/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstohqucvp.jpeg

This is the one and only time it's ever been set up just after Christmas. It took about 2 hours to put it all together and put the stickers on everything but I'm a bit useless at building so gave up and got oh to help in the end, he finished a lot quicker :haha:
You get a lot for your money but it's difficult to store obviously because of the size and it would be difficult for a child to set back up on their own. I've just got ugly clear boxes full of hot wheels sets that haven't been used since last Christmas. He only bothers with the cars, but he's only three so may get them out again when he's a little bit older next year.

Just as an idea of size, this is the mega car garage set from Argos

https://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab117/kirstybumx3/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpstohqucvp.jpeg

This is the one and only time it's ever been set up just after Christmas. It took about 2 hours to put it all together and put the stickers on everything but I'm a bit useless at building so gave up and got oh to help in the end, he finished a lot quicker :haha:
You get a lot for your money but it's difficult to store obviously because of the size and it would be difficult for a child to set back up on their own. I've just got ugly clear boxes full of hot wheels sets that haven't been used since last Christmas. He only bothers with the cars, but he's only three so may get them out again when he's a little bit older next year.

Cheers for this, Ive just bought this set from Argos! Should keep my boys quiet for a couple of hours then :haha:

My husband likes the hot wheels stuff to :haha: I'm no good at building the darn things haha but my husband and son are :thumbup: The cars themselves also make fantastic stocking stuffers!

we have the volcano set and a dinosaur set and i've bough two more sets for christmas
I didn't buy hot wheels sets for the longest time because i thought they seemed like flimsy plastic tat but there actually quite sturdy once you build them up and the kids love them. They mostly break up small enough to keep in a storage box.

Fab thanks, didn't realise the garage set was so big! Only got it because it seemed a good price, so nice to know it's a good size. Thanks for the Spin Storm recommendation Zou, got that instead of the 10 in 1 set. Looks quite self contained! Didn't realise they do a dinosaur one, I'll have a look for that one. And will definitely get some cars for his stocking! It's his birthday three weeks after Xmas so I'll get the transporter and stash it for then :thumbup:

We have the volcano set. It's well made, not too big and easy to put together. My ds can do it on his own.

The play is short lived though unless you have hundreds of cars as he likes to test which will go fastest and race with his sister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->