How active are you?

Kmx

Reaction score
I'm trying to do a comparison as sometimes I wory I am a bit too active and a friend went into labour yday and had a little girl at 30 weeks and I'm terrified that happens to me due to me being too active.

I basically do the same activities as I did When I wasn't pregnant although now I do feel more physically tired and sore.

An example of the activites I do weekly are- washing the car, mowing the garden, babysitting my 12 month old nephew (lifting him/his pram out of the car, nappy changes where he really struggles and I need to wrestle to change him- he's a very very big baby so I do worry), general cleaning of the house, oregnancy yoga.

I am also moving house in 3 weeks so I am busy packing boxes/cleaning the house every day. I try not to lift the heavy boxes but I do have to kick them around or move them with my legs to create space to walk around the house.

The thing that worres me most is babysitting my nephew but I guess other people have children of their own at 12 months old and are pregnant with another chuld and they do fine. He's just so heavy and his car seat is rear facing and I find it a real struggle to get him in and out my 3 door car.

So, how active are you? Do you think I am too active? Bearing in mind I am a SAHM to my four year old so don't work. I just feel so drained at the end of most days and I worry whether I am putting myself at risk of early labour - that is my greatest fear for pregnancy right now!

I'd say it doesn't really have anything to do with it.

I'm very active! I have a 4 yr old and 2 yr old, and a young dog. I'm constantly on my feet, doing housework, hoovering, washing, walking the dog twice a day, walking to and from preschool twice a day, shopping, baby wearing my youngest, doing diy....
We also moved house while I was pregnant, so I've been packing, unpacking, lifting and decorating!

Strangely I feel a lot better this time round, compared to last time *touch wood* so hopefully it lasts!

I'd say just rest when you need to and don't overdo it. But I don't think being too active puts you at risk of preterm labour.

I have a 9 month old and am 24 weeks pregnant. I also wear my baby just like the pp wears her youngest. I'm always on the go. I'm a dental assistant and am working casually, but it means I am on my feet most of the day.

I still do daily things like vacuuming, mopping, etc and we also walk our two dogs frequently.

I even do light weights a few times a week and we painted our house when I was a bit earlier on in my pregnancy.

Last pregnancy we moved house 2.5 hours when I was 37 weeks pregnant, and I had to be induced at 42+3.

So..I wouldn't worry.

You're fine! I take care of toddlers ranging 12-18 months. 8 of them everyday. I change every diaper, clean up after every meal, tons of bending and lifting all day long.

Then I go home and chase my 21 month old outside, clean the house, etc

I have 5 kids, I'll say no more! 😂

Honestly I think you're fine, it's not like you've suddenly stsrted all this stuff, you've always done it so your body will be used to it. Id just say be careful with the lifting when you move. You won't do baby any harm but you might do yourself some damage x

i'm 23 weeks pregnant and run 3-5 miles a day, 5 times a week. youll be fine.

I'm 12 weeks pregnant and workout at least 4-5 times a week and by working out I mean not simple walking or jogging but bootcamps, weight training, cardio kickboxing (non/contact) high intensity interval training and so on. I have to slow it down due to my tiredness and bloating but my dr said I should keep doing whatever I was doing before just slow down a little and lift lighter weights. I'm also a personal trainer and have to lift weights and stuff and I feel great! Hope that helps!

I say listen to your body and if it needs you to slow down then start cutting back. I don't think being too active has much to do with going into preterm labor, some women go into 42 weeks pregnant even with walking miles everyday but labor doesn't start.

I think if you're healthy then it's completely okay, but again listen to your body mama!

I have a 13mo old.
And I'm a social worker who bounces from appt to appt.

I need a nap. Lol

I'm a housewife, so semi-sedentary lifestyle at home (as in, not running around after a toddler, but doing housework etc.), but I go to the gym 3 days a week and do my normal workouts from before with my husband (cardio then weights, whole workout is 90 mins). Also started walking an hour on the treadmill two extra days per week. I know I will come to the point where the pain is just too much - I have severe unoperated scoliosis, plus the regular pain from pregnancy that I'm sure a lot of people experience (like - INSANELY painful bones in my feet from walking, for example - what?!). But for now I'm managing.

No, I don't think you're too active at all! But your body will tell you.

Listen to your body would be my advice. But then I work part time and am home with our four year old so I know it's not easy, I don't take the advice I've just given!

It's tough as there is house work to do, looking after / playing with our son, washing, cooking, shopping etc.

I fall asleep literally in seconds every night so I know I'm exhausted! But just try and rest when you can and relax if you're able to.

It's easier with the first I found ��

I echo the others by saying listen to your body. I had a desk job whilst pregnant with DD but now a SAHM but with a 2yr old toddler so much more active. As a result I find I'm less achy & sore at the moment. I love cleaning so do plenty of housework. We also moved 7 weeks ago so packing, unpacking, painting etc.
I have placenta previa so have to take it a bit easier this time but get frustrated with people telling me what I should/shouldn't be doing.
You know your limits!

If you feel good doing what you are doing, then you are the right amount active. With my first, I did a backpacking trip at 20 weeks, climbed a 4000 footer at 24 weeks, ran until 28 weeks, did weekly hikes up and through my due date. My first was 12 days late. There was no convincing her to leave before she was ready.

This time around I'm hiking a lot less because we have a toddler and baby is sitting low making distance hard to achieve.

Listen to your body and stay hydrated. Being active is good (unless you have indications that you are overdoing it).

If your going to have an early baby you'll have one regardless of the activities u do. I didn't do much in my first preg n had a 29 weeker.. She probably had an underlying condition like incompetent cervix. Aslong as J dont take up any new hobbies like weight lifting you'll be ok

I never actually thought I was very active as the closest I get to the gym is walking past it to the donut shop :haha:

But at work I'm nearly always on the go lifting wheelchairs in and out of cars, helping people on and off the loo running up and down stairs cooking cleaning and so on so I guess I'm fairly active but no more than I was before I was pregnant, I certainly tire more easily and have a few more aches and pains but nothing I cant get on with

With my first I wasn't very active in my spare time but I was constantly on my feet at work and worked right up to the end.

This time I didn't even know I was pregnant until I was 16 weeks so I've been very active. I'm a waitress on a very busy holiday park so when I'm at work I'm running around like a headless chicken :haha: I have my 4 year old mostly on my own as OH works all day 6 days a week so I'm alone on doing housework also which I hate hahaha.

I don't think being active is going to mean a premature birth, if anything being active is good just don't overdo it and rest when you need to! :D

Thankfully the idea that pregnant women are fragile and need to take it easy to prevent preterm labor is both antiquated and inaccurate :) Continuing at your previous level of activity is not only safe, it's what's best for you and baby. The caveat, of course, is that you should listen to your body. If something hurts, don't do it. If you're feeling lightheaded, sit down. Etc etc. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->