How can I make breastfeeding easier this time??

M

Mrsb3

Hi all, I'm wanting to breastfeed lo who is due in 2 weeks mainly because my 11 month old is still on 3 bottles a day and I don't want to be over my head in bottles. I managed to breastfeed my son for a month but I couldn't cope with all the sitting down it involved and gave up :-( I actually gained an additional half a stone that month of sitting down. It's funny because now I'm 9 month pregnant I'm the slimiest I have ever been lol ratting around my 24lb 11 month old and full term baby im fit as a fiddle!! So
I have been thinking there must be something out there that I can wear like a carrier to feed my newborn in?? So I can still chase my 11 month old around the house, cook, clean etc..

I know establishing breastfeeding is not forever and that it gets easier etc... But I can't see my self sat in pjs all morning watching my don trash the house because he is bored and wants mummy to get ready so she can take him out. Need some ideas people?? Thanks in advance :)

I used a sling to carry my little one when he was first born but only for a few weeks because I didn't find it comfy. The hardest thing I found about breastfeeding is how much he was attached to my boobs, he went a few weeks of being on there constantly. My poor daughter was really left to play alone :-( I tried doing things one handed with her like books, stickers, puzzles but she is so active she didn't want to be sitting down, she wanted to be outside and kicking balls around, or playing hide and seek. Once feeding settled down abit (around 8 weeks for me) it became easier. But please be armed with lots of activities you can do sitting down with your older one. And never start to feed before checking you have drinks and snacks at hand for your older one as I found my daughter always asked for a snack in the middle of a feed lol xxx good luck xxx

I used a sling to carry my little one when he was first born but only for a few weeks because I didn't find it comfy. The hardest thing I found about breastfeeding is how much he was attached to my boobs, he went a few weeks of being on there constantly. My poor daughter was really left to play alone :-( I tried doing things one handed with her like books, stickers, puzzles but she is so active she didn't want to be sitting down, she wanted to be outside and kicking balls around, or playing hide and seek. Once feeding settled down abit (around 8 weeks for me) it became easier. But please be armed with lots of activities you can do sitting down with your older one. And never start to feed before checking you have drinks and snacks at hand for your older one as I found my daughter always asked for a snack in the middle of a feed lol xxx good luck xxx

Thank you - this is very helpful. My son is getting better at eating now by himself so I'll be sure to get his beaker and finger foods ready before I start a feed. He was the same when I breastfeed him 5 hours a go!! Which is why I'm stressed about it this time round as I can't just sit on Viacom for 5 hours with newborn :-0 my don can't sit still for 2 mins he wants to explore everything!! He's almost 12 month and trying to walk. I'm going to need to be getting up A LOT

I know you said you used a sling but it wasn't comfy but I was wondering if there is a special type of sling/carrier that is aimed for breastfeeding on the go??

Breastfeeding in a sling is a very different skill to breastfeeding sitting down. You also need to know how to babywear. If you can get the hang of it, it's amazing. I could never get my eldest to feed in the sling; we needed to be sat down and sat still. However my new baby is able to latch on in the sling and take a good feed. My wrapping is better than it was with DS1, but the main difference is that DS2 has a better latch.

Breastfeeding is designed to involve a lot of sitting down at first. It's to help your body recover from birth and pregnancy. Again, though, it very much depends on the babg-my first wanted feeds little and often, day and night. DS2 has been much happier to go longer between feeds, and has just slept for 10 solid hours through the night.

Breastfeeding changes every day you do it. Babies grow and you both learn how best everything works. The first few weeks are draining, and if you can arrange to have support around, you'll need it most during those first 6-8 weeks. After things are established, BFing gives so much freedom. A change of plans last minute doesbt result in you running out of milk, you don't need a massive bag, just a few nappies and wipes.

My eldest only weaned 2 months before the baby was born, so he already understood what BFing was about and what I was doing with the baby. I still have one free hand when I feed, so I can help him with things and play with him.

It's never the same experience twice with babies, so I'd definitely vote that you give it another go and just see how things are this time with a different baby.

Enjoy the end of your pregnancy :flower: hope all goes well

Oh, and most of the 'ergonomic' slings are suitable for breastfeeding. I managed it this time in a Kari me, which is a stretchy and basically the same as a moby wrap (or ny other stretchy), a close carrier, which is basically a pre-tied stretchy wrap, and a woven wrap. You can also use an ergo, manduca, boba, beco (which are all known as soft structured carriers) as well as ring slings and mai tais. High street carriers, such as the baby Bjorn, won't work as there is fabric between you and baby. And they're not adjustable enough to get baby to boob height.

Breastfeeding in a sling is a very different skill to breastfeeding sitting down. You also need to know how to babywear. If you can get the hang of it, it's amazing. I could never get my eldest to feed in the sling; we needed to be sat down and sat still. However my new baby is able to latch on in the sling and take a good feed. My wrapping is better than it was with DS1, but the main difference is that DS2 has a better latch.

Breastfeeding is designed to involve a lot of sitting down at first. It's to help your body recover from birth and pregnancy. Again, though, it very much depends on the babg-my first wanted feeds little and often, day and night. DS2 has been much happier to go longer between feeds, and has just slept for 10 solid hours through the night.

Breastfeeding changes every day you do it. Babies grow and you both learn how best everything works. The first few weeks are draining, and if you can arrange to have support around, you'll need it most during those first 6-8 weeks. After things are established, BFing gives so much freedom. A change of plans last minute doesbt result in you running out of milk, you don't need a massive bag, just a few nappies and wipes.

My eldest only weaned 2 months before the baby was born, so he already understood what BFing was about and what I was doing with the baby. I still have one free hand when I feed, so I can help him with things and play with him.

It's never the same experience twice with babies, so I'd definitely vote that you give it another go and just see how things are this time with a different baby.

Enjoy the end of your pregnancy :flower: hope all goes well

Hi, thanks for replying. I don't have a problem with sitting down to recover and breastfeeding sitting down I just feel bad for my soon to be 12 month old. I need to jump up constantly to see what he is up to he's in to everything- as they are at that age. If he was a few months older I could hold his attention with crayons etc.. With one hand free like you mentioned but he just wants to be off all the time. Hubby and mother in law are there to help first week or two so I'll take it from there. I'm sure it's possible I'll figure something out :)

Sorry just a quick one but BF makes your metabolism three times faster than normal, you can burn an extra 300-500 calories a day BF, so if you don't eat too much (Obviously your diet will adjust to needing more nutrients) it's actually a fantastic way of losing weight without needing to be very active, I went down to a size 8 BF my first. I hope it works out for you :flower:

Sorry just a quick one but BF makes your metabolism three times faster than normal, you can burn an extra 300-500 calories a day BF, so if you don't eat too much (Obviously your diet will adjust to needing more nutrients) it's actually a fantastic way of losing weight without needing to be very active, I went down to a size 8 BF my first. I hope it works out for you :flower:

That would be brilliant! Thankyou

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->