How can I stop my 13-14 month old throwing food on the floor?

mummytobe_93

Reaction score
She used to do this when we started weaning Her and then she stopped for ages. Now she's started doing it again. It makes me so angry and I get so fed up with her!
I spend hours making us a healthy nice tea and she throws it all over the floor and laughs when I shout at her 😡! I know she's one and doesn't underatand discipline yet but I am at the end of my tether.

She normally throws food in hope that she will get what she wants afterwards usually a banana and yoghurt. Tonight she's thrown all of her tea on the floor so I've not given her anything to eat.
Mind sound harsh but I'm sick of wasting food and giving in to her 'wants'. I feel like I'm creating a monster!!

Any advice would be great thanks

How much food do you put in front of her at a time? My son often does this, but I only give him a bit at a time so that I don't get as frustrated over the wasted food.

I know that it can get sooo frustrating when they do this. The other evening, my son decided that he would throw all of his food on the floor unless I wasn't watching him. So I spent the meal sitting on the couch behind him, watching him eat.

If he doesn't eat his supper,
I do give him something else to eat. I'm sure that at this age (my little guy is 16 months), he likely does make the connection between throwing food on the floor and then getting what he wants. But I would rather he ate something than nothing at all. OH and I have decided that we will deal with the issue when he is able to understand reasoning a bit more.
Good luck, and I hope that it's just a phase. Honestly though I'm worried about how much worse it will get the further mine continues into toddlerhood!

You can't really stop them have you put a wipe clean table cloth underneath tge chair you can spray it clean and always pick the food back up?

I guess the most important thing is to not let them know they are getting to you e.g don't shout or let it be a game.

It does end eventually!

I only put a few pieces in front of her as I don't want to over whelm Her with loads of food. When she's throwing the food in the floor usually she's pointing and shouting at the fruit basket. She is banana crazy, to the point I have to limit how many she has because of fear of potassium over dose :haha:

I just get frustrated. Trying to make nice healthy meals and it ends up on the floor! I hope she passes this phase very soon because its so frustrating!
Give her a yoghurt, banana or chocolate though and she will eat it all up! Xx

Mine is 15 months old now and she is in the thick of that phase [has been since 12 months]. It's totally frustrating. I hate waste, esp after I work hard to make a nice healthy meal and it all ends up on the floor. Over the last week I've decided that I will ignore the behavor and not reward her. I just put a cheap shower curtain under her and just let her do what she wants. After just two days of me ignore her and not giving her more food she has stopped. Now she will look at me with the food in her hand hoovering it over the edge, I dont say anything, just shake my head no and she puts it in her mouth. It's a step in the right direction. Like a PP said, I will only give her a few pieces and lately I'll hand them to her individually until she's eaten a few bites then she tends to do fine on her own with the rest.
I know it's frustrating but hopefully it'll pass soon.

If I am giving dd finger foods, I only put 1 or 2 pieces on her tray at a time. If I put too much there, the majority of it will end up on the floor.

Thanks everyone! Lovn.subshine I will try what you suggested. I'm going to ignore the behaviour. When I say no to her she grins and chucks it. Its very frustrating but hopefully she will start realising that throwing food on the floor means she won't have anything to eat she will stop!
She only really does finger foods she won't let me feed her. We have always done blw and she's always donw great with it
I have noticed two teeth have come through so this could be why she has such a lack of interest in food at the moment xx

Thanks everyone! Lovn.subshine I will try what you suggested. I'm going to ignore the behaviour. When I say no to her she grins and chucks it. Its very frustrating but hopefully she will start realising that throwing food on the floor means she won't have anything to eat she will stop!
She only really does finger foods she won't let me feed her. We have always done blw and she's always donw great with it
I have noticed two teeth have come through so this could be why she has such a lack of interest in food at the moment xx

I hope it helps! Mine is the same, whenever she has teeth coming in she gets less interested in food.

I don't think there's much you can do, just try not to make a big thing of it or she may think it's a game. I would probably just ignore it, most kid go through this phase but it will pass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->