How did you cope at home?

okciv

3girls, 1 lives in heaven
Reaction score
I'm soooo scared of Eve getting home. Obviously I want her home but I am going to be a wreck!
She is not getting monitored anymore and I can't take my eyes off her covers to make sure they are moving.
She is on demand feeding (every 3-4hrs) now so it's likely she will be home soon.
I'm petrified, how do you cope?

I'm already planning what I can buy to help me, angel care matress ect.....

I wasn't this bad with my 1st!!!!

Totally recommend the angelcare monitor. It is because of it I can sleep at night!

Unfortunately everything else takes time. I worried was she warm enough, breathing too fast, oxygen levels ok and everything else imagineable but as you get to know your lo your confidence will grow.

You didn't have to watch your first born go through everything eve has went through and you also hadn't lost a child before so everything you feel this time will be different.

Hopefully she will be home very soon and you can all have an amazing Christmas.

Xx

We were exactly the same - we actually didn't sleep for the first few nights! As you say, we're used to them being monitored and the nurses being around them 24/7 and it's very scary when suddenly they are your responsibility and there are no monitors etc!

Your confidence does grow as time goes on but even though Sophie is now 9 months, I still find myself checking her every time I wake up in the night, and if I'm reading in bed before going to sleep I'm always listening for her breathing and peeking at her!

It will get easier as your confidence grows and the more you get to know her. I relaxed a lot more after getting Sophie a sleeping bag, because i was always worried about her pulling her blankets over her face - which she did do one night when she was tiny, despite them being tucked in tight all round. I still worry in case she's too hot or too cold at night etc but I don't worry anything like as much as I used to when she first came home.

xxxx

Do you know what, you will surprise yourself. You have coped with much worse n the last few months and terrifying as it is, utterly terrifying, it is just a matter of time before it becomes normal that your darling is home. I promise you.

It's easy for me to say this now, but I remember so vividly the night we roomed in for the first time with our girl and how frightened I was and now we're 9 weeks down the line and oh my god don't get me wrong, I still get a bit panicky if I don't hear anything for a few minutes, I have a big thing about worrying that she's choking from being sick, I often look at her and even blow on her gently if she's fast asleep to make her move and check she's not dead....sigh...poor girl!

But you have made it this far, this is just the next step. You can do it. Some days you'll feel more confident about it than others. But you can do it.

:thumbup:

i was actually more calm than i imagined. the angelcare i had made awful interference noise so i never ended up using it. i told myself there was no way the hospital would have let her home if she didnt need the medical eyes and attention.
of course like anyone i slept with one eye open but thats normal for any new mum!!!
have trust in eve :)

I often look at her and even blow on her gently if she's fast asleep to make her move and check she's not dead.

I am the same poor Holly has been prodded so many times even when we are out walking lol.

The hospital said Eve should get home this week :) Eeeeeek

I was terrified!
The thought of suddenly having no one to tell me how and when to do things I was like '' and how will I know this etc''! Lol

The nurse told me not to bother using a breath monitor. It did help that the apnea (sp?) moneter was taken off LO a good week or so before her release, she had never once caused it to go off in her stay (after the first week or so anyway) and she was in for 14 weeks. She said I would just rely on it, and there was no way LO would be sent home without one if she needed one (my hospital send them home with you if you need one).

Getting Anna home was total bliss. The first day I think I changed her clothes about 5 times! Lol. Because I was far away from the hospital I hardly got to choose what she wore.
Being able to give her a cuddle without making sure there was no wires etc tangled, or having to wait around for a nurse to come and do something.

Actually being able to take her out for a walk! Something I had been waiting for! Lol.

And just being able to be with her without having to sit on an uncomfy hospital chair :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->