how did you get your baby onto cows milk

I just gave him some in a bottle. Will your baby not take milk from a bottle? You could start with some mixed with BM or formula at first, or add it to cereal at breakfast perhaps?

I've given her some in a doidy cup this week to see how she liked the taste.....not impressed!! :lol:

My mum offered it to him and he took to it straight away.. now if we go out and have a cup of tea somewhere, he'll have the milk :)

Basically I switched it over from formula.. like 4oz formula, 1oz moo milk.. Adding one ounce of moo milk a day and taking away an ounce of formula at the same time.

She's now on moo milk all the time, and she is drinking a lot more because she HATED formula, and its so much easier with moo milk. No more mixing formula YAY :D

the problem is i dont give him formula, so i dont know what to do, to start with the mix like you said hr. Ir.07, or to just keep it at cow's milk until he gets used to it, a part of me thinks maybe if i use formula he will take to it better, because it will be more like breast milk, but then i am roped into buying formula.

Personally I would probably go straight to cows milk at his age. I honestly don't see the point in spending the amount of money that formula costs because he doesn't really need it now anyway. Plus if you're introducing formula just to swap it to cows milk its two big changes to his diet in a short space of time.

Will he take a bottle? I'd probably try giving him just an oz at a time before or after a BF or maybe a full feed to replace a BF? I know some babies of his age hardly BF at all, my friend who BF's her little boy (he's the same age as my LO) is switching his feeds with bottles slowly - she started with his afternoon feed and has now included his morning feed too. It's a complicated process and everyone has to do it their own way I guess.
Good luck hun xx

As a result of this thread I also tried Poppy with some cows milk this morning in her doidy cup and she seemed to really like it. But that's not to say that she will take to it as a replacement for a breastfeed which I presume is what you're trying to do Cupcake?

Quick question - Am I right in thinking that the only issue with giving cows milk as a drink before 1 is that it's only a problem if it is INSTEAD of the usual milk because it doesn't contain all the nutirents? It's not that it's 'bad' for them or anything? (Although my h/v also told me not to hold out till 12 months if needs be and that it wasn't worth switching to formula at 11 months +)

As a result of this thread I also tried Poppy with some cows milk this morning in her doidy cup and she seemed to really like it. But that's not to say that she will take to it as a replacement for a breastfeed which I presume is what you're trying to do Cupcake?

Quick question - Am I right in thinking that the only issue with giving cows milk as a drink before 1 is that it's only a problem if it is INSTEAD of the usual milk because it doesn't contain all the nutirents? It's not that it's 'bad' for them or anything? (Although my h/v also told me not to hold out till 12 months if needs be and that it wasn't worth switching to formula at 11 months +)

i am not sure 100 % why they say not before a year, i thought that more allergies came up before a year and that was why

i am not sure 100 % why they say not before a year, i thought that more allergies came up before a year and that was why

Yes it's supposed to be because of the nutrients however if the baby is getting enough through their food I really don't see what the problem is. As long as it's full fat.

I totally breastfed my DD until she was 20 months, then we started giving formula at night in an attempt to make her sleep through the night.

She liked formula (1+) but wouldn't touch cows milk. So we mixed cows milk with formula, putting more and more cows milk in and less formula. It didn't take long and now she drinks pure cows milk. Make sure it's full fat - they're meant to be drinking full fat at this age.

I totally breastfed my DD until she was 20 months, then we started giving formula at night in an attempt to make her sleep through the night.

She liked formula (1+) but wouldn't touch cows milk. So we mixed cows milk with formula, putting more and more cows milk in and less formula. It didn't take long and now she drinks pure cows milk. Make sure it's full fat - they're meant to be drinking full fat at this age.

i think i am going to try this

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->