How do I get my 6 month old to stop feeding to sleep at bedtime?!!!!

Jenmargee

Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping for some suggestions/ steps/ strategies that I could try to stop my DD breastfeefing to sleep at bedtime. I have exclusively breastfed for 6 months and feel ready to wean her off. She has just started taking bottles during the day (she had refused point blank previously!) she is also on solids now too. Over the next few months I'd like to have finished breastfeeding due to work and other commitments.

She can self soothe as she puts herself to sleep for naps and if she wakes sometimes during the night by sucking on her hand.
She's very alert and finds it difficult to switch off. I've never seen her drowsy other than at the breast.
We have a good bedtime routine - except I've always breastfed her to sleep at bedtime. I've tried breastfeeding and putting her down awake but she just screams until she gets hysterical and into a shaking state until I feed her again. I've tried music, bedtime light toys things, singing and just placing my hand on her tummy like I do when she puts herself to sleep at nap times., but nothing works other than breastfeeding!!
Please help!!! I'd like to go back to my choir group once a week too but can't as nobody else can put her to bed :-(

Do you live with anyone else able to out her to bed?
Look up the baby whisperer 'pick up put down' method. She usually recommends getting dad to put her to bed until baby breaks the 'I need boob to sleep'. It also means baby is never left to cry it out (touchy subject for some) and learns to self sooth night.
Xx

Thanks so much for your response! :) DH could have a go- is that where you pick baby up as soon as they start crying then put down as soon as theyre calm again? DH adores DD but isn't great coping with her crying, he gets really upset- but in theory she shouldn't cry hysterically with this method should she?

We had the same issue although by the time we were (self) weaning at 12months the bedtime and morning feeds were the only two left so my DS was ready to stop. But I hope this helps you anyway.

You've said you'd like to stop BF over the next few months and I think that'll give you the best chance of success. As the PP said, I had my DH put our son to bed for a few weeks once I had fed him and then one night I went out and let DH get on with putting DS to bed. I came home and apparently after 10mins of fussing, DS went to sleep and that was it, he never had another BF again. It wasn't easy every night but after a few weeks we were able to have my parents come over and put him to bed while we went out, which hadn't happened in a year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->