How do I stop her feeding constantly

Lawgirl

Reaction score
This is not a growth spurt or cluster feeding. She is using my breasts as comfort/a dummy and wants to nurse non stop. I no longer know if/when she is hungry and I just cannot sit here every day with her attached to my breasts.

She's 6 weeks (I know this is time for a growth spurt, but I'm fairly certain she has already had it and this has been going on for over a week now). We have been giving her a dummy, but she is not keen and will rarely take it from me (she knows I'm the one with the boobs!). I was trying to express, so that OH could give the occassional feed when I was exhausted, but now I have no additional milk.

If she still only a few weeks old then go with it as it'll just be her trying to build your milk up. My girl used to feed non stop in the evenings and still does cluster feed a bit before she goes to bed.

yeah i remember most of the newborn phase felt like a growth spurt. you may need to try a few different dummies if you want to go down that road.

Try MAM dummies.

I've learnt when Millie is eating or comfort....it goes from suck to a bite action.

My Los 6 week growth spurt went on for 2 weeks and she'd tease me a couple times with wonderful sleep and just when I thought it was over she latched on and never stopped! She still does it off and on now and she's 3 months.

I agree, she may be trying to build up your milk supply so feed as much as you can I think. I waited a while to introduce a dummy/pacifier and bottles of expressed milk, but my LO prefers the MAM ones over all the others. I was told to watch the baby's jaw and ears and listen for a swallow, otherwise it may be comfort sucking. It's so faint though that I found it very frustrating for a while. Hope it gets better!

She's still very young. I wouldn't stop her from sucking as there's a reason she's doing it. X

im in the same boat with my daughter except it has been going on for what feels like forever!!

We're the same although at night, she just wants to use me like a dummy all night long! And she's over 5 months so not sure how to break the cycle really!

I wouldnt do a dummy but I can say this passes and is normal. Sorry if its not much help. Been here before.

Thanks for all the replies - it's good to know I'm not the only one. She has been slightly better over the past 24 hours, so there may be hope that it's just a phase. While they talk about difficulties with latching, etc., they forget to mention how hard it is being on constant call for milk (and comfort sucking). But I haven't given up yet!

I actually had this problem at the hospital when my daughter was only 2 days old. The pediatrician said not only is it a comfort for infants to be close to mommy, but that sucking is a natural comfort mechanism for babies, breastfeeding or not. When she was nursing every hour for so long (and I didn't even have my milk in yet, so I would end up bleeding) the pediatrician and nursing staff told me to not feel guilty for any desire to give her a soothie in these situations. They said as long as the pacifier is being used for the baby to suck for comfort and not as a replacement for actual feedings, it's perfectly fine.

Hope everything works out and your breasts get a break!

EDIT* Sorry, didn't see that you said she wouldn't take to a paci. ): Hope this blows over!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vz99vet
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->