How do u be a mum?????

x_Chanty-x

Reaction score
I kno thats a weird question. I'm 14 and am three weeks pregnant with my first child. I'm really excited but really scared at the same time because i don't actually know how to be a mum. I know the basics of feeding as i hav a baby brother but i need some advice

Oh hunny! I don't think ANYONE really knows how to be a mum the first time round, no matter what your age. I guess it's all trial and error to start with, and you will make alot of mistakes, but you'll learn from them. At the end of the day all that your baby will need from you is to be loved and cared for and i'm sure you will do a great job! Do you have plenty of support at home? Have you thought about joining a group for teenage mum's-to-be? It's worth asking your midwife about them.

You have a long way to go hun, plenty of time to allow your body and your mind to try get used to becoming a mum, and i'm sure you will find when bubs arrives it will be a natuaral instinct! Becoming a mum is a huge learning curve. Good luck sweetie, please dont think you have to go through this alone, if you need support ask for it :) xxx

There's also everyone on here if you have any questions about anything. :D Everyone's very helpful. Most of it does come naturally, but maybe buying a book would help to put you at ease a little more? I have 'Jo Frost's Confident Baby Care' and find that one quite good, but there are loads so just have a look around. I'd definately agree with Sammi's suggestion about finding a group for teenage mums-to-be though. I go to a group for young mum's (expecting/with babies) and it's great to talk through your worries or just have a chat 'cos you're all going through the same thing. x

I kno thats a weird question. I'm 14 and am three weeks pregnant with my first child. I'm really excited but really scared at the same time because i don't actually know how to be a mum. I know the basics of feeding as i hav a baby brother but i need some advice

its all about learning as u go along! im sure as u are so young you will have lots of support from your midwife and health visitor! are u sure u are 3 weeks tho? how did u find out that early??

Beleive you me it comes naturally as an instinct, and those bits you do need a little help with youve come to the right site and you will have plwnty of support from midwives & Health visitors...

Like mummy_channon said.. are you sure you're three weeks?? Have you seen a doctor... not saying its impossible but its very uncommen to find out before 5-6 weeks

x

My doctor said he isn't sure but he thinks i'm between 3-5 weeks gone. I'd say i'm about 5 tho and thanxs every1 4 answerin my question xx

i agree with everyone above, it does come natural and even if you dont feel it is during the first few weeks as long as you just simply love your baby then i'd say your 90% there of being a mum, the other 10% is feeding, winding, bathing and changing nappies and this site is fab for anything you want answering, but it might be worth asking midwife about a support group for young mums ;) X

Someone could explain how to be a "good mum" to you for days and it still wouldn't completely prepare you or make you do any better of a job. When our baby was born, and our family had left it was just the 3 of us in the room and I looked down at Bethanie and thought "oh shit!". It's quite scary and we were nervous, but you have to get on with it.. no matter how sleep deprived and worried you are.
You probably won't feel confident for a while and feel as if everyone is judging you, but as soon as you've got the hang of it.. you won't care what they think at all. It will be a bit harder for you id imagine, just because of your age.. so I agree that a teen mum/support group could help you loads.

It isn't a silly question at all, I think everybody thinks the same thing first time around. And whether you're fourteen or fortry, becoming a Mother is a daunting and scary thing.

I agree with many of the sentiments here. Nobody can really explain it to you, it just happens. But you can prepare yourself by getting as much knowledge, with many helpful books. You could go down to your library, and check out several. As I admit I've spent money on certain books that I wished I hadn't.

You say you know how to feed -- are you planning breast or aritificial?

I don't want to go through a common misconception here, but are you with the Father, and is he pleased?

You have many weeks ahead of yourself before he/she arrives, it'll seem like a lifetime.... Take good care of yourself. :) xxx

Isn't this the same girl who posted on another forum that she knew she wasn't pregnant? If so, why is she still allowed to be on here...

That would be because she posted this thread before we 'knew' :D lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->