How do u stop your LO from biting too much food off?

bambikate

Mummy of 2 gorgeous girls
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been giving Izzy pureed food and gradually making it a bit lumpier, which she loves.

She is keen to feed herself now so I'm giving her stuff like banana, cooked batons of butternut squash, cucumber etc but the softer stuff she takes massive bites out and then it's too much for her and she nearly chokes - it frightens the life out of me!!!! :cry: I've had to put my finger in my mouth and hook out a big chunk of banana before now.

Any tips / ideas to teach her to take smaller bits?

Kate x x :blush:

Annabelle is really lazy hun so she wont hold the food herself, she is just starting to recently.

i end up holding it so only let her put a bit in her mouth, if she is having a good day and does it herself she doesnt choke she gags and from reading on here its due to overactive gag reflex so i leave her to it, i havent had any experiences of full on choking just yet

Lou
xxx

I dont! :lol:

I just leave her to it. At first I would panic. I think if you keep removing it they never learn how to chew a big mouth full. So long at you are watching her then it's unlikely that she'll choke Kate. :)

Heebs will bite a bit of banana the size I would sometimes! :dohh:

She chews it now and if its too big she will chew for so long then spit it out. :)

I just leave her to it. At first I would panic. I think if you keep removing it they never learn how to chew a big mouth full. So long at you are watching her then it's unlikely that she'll choke Kate. :)

Same as Lisa, i just let her take what she wants.

Luckily Brooke has now got the hang of if she cant swallow something after a minute of trying to chew it she will spit it out :lol:

Same as Lisa, i just let her take what she wants.

Luckily Brooke has now got the hang of if she cant swallow something after a minute of trying to chew it she will spit it out :lol:

I think this is how they do it. Chew for so long then think, sod this....NEEEEEXT! :lol:

Ya Jasmine spits out stuff if she cant handle it... its still kinda scary! lol...

Ryder just thank your lucky stars it aint the dogs boob she spittin' out!! :lol:

hahaha... OH's neice didnt spit them out! She kept nuring off the dog until she was taken away... !!! I guess dogs milk tastes good?

I tend to just leave him to it, he won't learn otherwise.

Im terrified of tyler choking :( i gave him cucumber the other day and he bit to much off and was coughing, my think my heart literally stopped!! I was sooooo scared!!

I havnt given him it since!!

I so wish i could give Patrick finger foods, i just cannot bring myself to do it, im terrified of him choking, i made him some toast this morning and give it him in soldiers with no crust and i thought i was gonna throw up whilst i was watching him....i think it have issues!I just cant see how he can eat it without it choking him when he has no teeth to chew with.

I don't either :) If you're worried abut choking, have a read through the last bits of the BLW thread where choking is explained. Niamh will almost takes bites as big as me and will take her ages to get through the crust of some toast for instance.

Babies have an incredibly strong gag reflex, much stronger than adults to help them cope with learning how to eat. They will cough and splutter, but actual choking is rare. Coughing is totally normal, it's them working the food around their mouth. If they were going to choke, they wouldn't be coughing.

ahh thank u so much for your replies thats such a relief - banana for lunch!!!!!!!!!!!! :D x x

I agree with the above replies... you need to let them get on with it as its the only way they will learn. The coughing and gagging is totally normal as the babies have such a strong gag reflex (in order to help them learn how to eat). The first time Hannah gagged on her food I must admit I did panic a bit but then I read up on it and its totally normal.
Hannah is more likely to cough and gag on smaller bits of food than the larger bits as sometimes she thinks she doesn't need to chew the small bits :dohh:

Banana is a good one too Kate coz it's nice and slippy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->