How do you feel about this?

ShelbyLC

Twin girls & baby boy!
Reaction score
Hi, Ladies. I'm popping in from the pregnancy forums to ask you all a question.

OH and I were visiting some family today and our 6 year old nephew was playing a video game. It was a kid-friendly, age appropriate video game (Kung Fu Panda) and it's a game he's played before. Well, he asked OH for help with one part, and after that, OH was trying to do everything for him. Nephew was even saying things like, "Okay, I can do this part," or "I know how to do this," and OH was being pushy and trying to play the game for him. And once Nephew had the game back, OH was telling him "You need to go back and get those coins," and "You missed that part."

I told OH he needed to lay off and let Nephew play the game on his own. He said "I'm just trying to help him. He isn't playing the game right."

The way I look at it is that it's supposed to be a fun game! Who cares if Nephew isn't "doing it right"? He's a kid and so what if he strays away from the "point of the game". Five minutes later, Nephew was back on track and making his way through the levels like he was supposed to. But OH got mad at me, which never happens. He's so laid back, I hate that this really bothered him enough to make him mad. I just still feel like I was right. If you do everything for your kids (or, in this case, your nephew) then they'll never figure it out themselves.

I dunno. :shrug: What do you ladies think?

We have a general rule of if you cant do it then change the game, but if it is tricky OH will help him and I sometimes have to remind him to hand the controller back, I think its a man thing with their toys :haha:

I agree though if you do it all they never learn :)

Maybe get OH Kung Fu Panda for his birthday :haha:

He is 6, I would of just left him to explore the game alone and give help when it was requested

youre right.........Follow their lead, if they ask for help ...help.....when they want the controller or whatever back....then give it back and let them get on with it.......... x

Thanks, Ladies. I think maybe OH was just having too much fun playing the game himself. :haha:

We have a general rule of if you cant do it then change the game, but if it is tricky OH will help him and I sometimes have to remind him to hand the controller back, I think its a man thing with their toys :haha:

I agree though if you do it all they never learn :)

Maybe get OH Kung Fu Panda for his birthday :haha:
:haha:

I agree with everyone else. At our house, if they ask for help, we will help, but if they ask repeatedly for help and seem to be struggling at every turn, then we make them find something easier. As a parent, you absolutely can't do everything for them. They have to face challenges, and learn to problem solve on their own, or they're in for a harsh slap in the face when they get into the real world.

Yep. He should of left him to get on with it but y'know what, men + games.... dangerous territory!

Nothing like video games to bring out the inner child! LOL! I would say, encourage hubby to play his own game, or be less into it, but...its all part of the reason I hate video games!!

Sounds like he's just hogging the controller lol
I don't see any harm in it, just overly interested, it teaches kids to be competitive.

We have that game too! Our 6 year old Nate has often asked his Daddy for help with it or with another game, and you have to pry my Hubby away from the game! Just boys and their toys. They must all find childish games addictive. But you're right, he should have given back the controller, kids need to figure things out for themselves. My OH tends to be like that with school work and stuff too. He's such a perfectionist

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->