How independant is your 4 year old?

kerrie24

me,him and 3 lo's
Reaction score
Basically my daughter is due to start reception class in september she was 4 in february.But there are still things I have to do for her,such as knickers,socks(she can do them but they end up wonky with the seam uncomfortable)and shoes,buttons or zip on coat etc,things that she has to do herself at school.Also she asks one of us to wipe her bum when she goes to the loo,but she must be doing it herself at nursery?!
Am I expecting too much from her?How much do you do for your 4 year old?I have an 8 year old boy but I cant really remember what he was like with dressing etc.

Basically my daughter is due to start reception class in september she was 4 in february.But there are still things I have to do for her,such as knickers,socks(she can do them but they end up wonky with the seam uncomfortable)and shoes,buttons or zip on coat etc,things that she has to do herself at school.Also she asks one of us to wipe her bum when she goes to the loo,but she must be doing it herself at nursery?!
Am I expecting too much from her?How much do you do for your 4 year old?I have an 8 year old boy but I cant really remember what he was like with dressing etc.

My four year old has just finished nursery and will be starting reception in september. She can sort of dress herself but still needs help getting things the right way round and buttons are a mystery to her! Shoe's are now mainly on the correct feet. She can wipe her own bum and what have you (although my six year old son is terrible at this!)
Hope this helps :)

My daughter can put trouser/skirt on but thats it, she might be able to do it but she gets all confused with it. My son didnt do it when he started school but he soon learnt x

My daughter also starts school in September, she will turn 5 on the 5th though (3 days after starting school!) so is one of the old ones.

9 times out of 10 she can dress herself no problem providing all the clothes are the right way round, not inside out or anything. She can wipe her bottom but when she's at home I sometimes do it for her or check it when she's done it as it isn't always perfect!

Sure the teachers will help with certain things like doing up troublesome buttons/zips on coats etc but maybe over the summer you could encourage the toilet issue, I find toilet wipes are great especially at the start (although obviously they wont have these at school!).

Sure she'll be fine though, the teachers will be used to differing levels of independence. x

My daughter just turned 4 yesterday. She wants to be independent and doesn't like me to help her with anything. She dresses herself correctly about half of the time. She still misses buttons, gets mad at zippers, has trouble with snaps, and often puts both legs into one leg hole of her pants, and then screams in frustration. I wipe her bottom after she uses the bathroom, but they let her do it by herself at preschool. I don't like that because I think she is too young and could get a UTI or vaginal infection if she doesn't get help. I agree with the wipes, we use them too, it's easier.

I teach Reception and when they first start the majority still need help with buttons, zips, socks and shoes etc. They seem to be able to wipe themselves though as I have never had any children coming to me to say that they can't do it.

My youngest son turned 4 in June, I think right when he turned 4 he JUST started dressing himself. I just always helped him thinking I was so used to it and it was quicker that way, but he finally started doing it. I still have to put his socks/shoes on, and button his pants and zip his jackets....I've never pushed for him to do it sooner b/c I call him my baby lol..

My daughter has been dressing herself for a few months now, she can put socks and shoes on but shoes are mainly wrong way round.
She wont let me wipe her, basically she wont let me do anything anymore and she picks and chooses clothes she wears (dresses if it's cold,fleece if it's warm :) ) and she likes to sort her cereal in the morning as well..i think she enjoys being indipendent and it does mean a lot to me,especially having two more that need dressing and feeding.

my daughter was 4 in june and in many ways she is very independent such as knowing what she wants and likes..E.G decides what to wear that day and washes and brushes her hair in mornings without prompting..i however do help her dress after she has tryed herself.my 6 yr old son is also useless at this lol! i do everything for him and he doesnt care if he never had to wash and will wear what ever i get out for him
xx

I have 2 4yr olds but they arent twins! Rachel is 5 in Oct and shes too independant!! does everything for herself!! Whereas Sean was 4 last week and still needs help x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->