How long after my c-section can I take a bath and drive?

christina1612

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

Just after some advice please, I had a c-section 2 weeks ago and my scar is healing up very nicely, apart from a bad reaction to one stitch which has caused an abcess.

I was wondering if it would be safe to take a bath now? I wasn't told by the midwives and could really do with a soak!

Also, did anyone get signed on by the doctor so that they were allowed to drive sooner than 6 weeks?

Thanks in advance.

I live in the states, but my doc said can drive after a week. I haven't tried it yet. But i've read that women say to slam your foot on the brake in park and if you aren't scared of pain or feel pain then you are ready to drive (well and that you aren't on pain meds). From what it seems is that driving is less about whether you can and more about your reaction time.

6 weeks!!! WOW! My doctor said I could drive as soon as I felt able. I think I didn't feel well enough until about 10 days or so after my section.

I have just been given the all clear to drive 4 weeks after my section. I think I could have driven sooner, but couldn't get to the doctors before that.

As for the bath, I had my first one a week after. OH supervised me getting in and out, and I kept the temperature warm not hot. I put lavender oil and milk in as that's good for healing.

Driving - 4 to 6 weeks, need to check with your insurance people as often they won't cover you until a certain time.
Bath - 6 weeks as per vaginal birth. It's about risking internal infection so shower for the first 6 weeks. Like we can't go swimming then either.

Don't know about bath, only have a shower.

As for driving, i drove at 9 days, to lo's dc office and shopping.

I was told I could drive after 2weeks but only up to 15min car rides...but i hardly get a chance to drive anyways since we have one car and husband works 2nd shift...

With both mine I had a bath the next day on the ward, that's the norm in UK. I drve after 2 weeks with my second. Even with my first when I went or my 6 week check and. Asked the GP he saud yeah of course and was a bit clueless !

According to my doctor I was allowed to have a bath just couldn't soak for a long period. As for driving I would suggest calling your doctor and ask. I was driving at two weeks as nothing was stated on my release papers.

my ob said no baths for 6 weeks, only showers.

i drove at 2 weeks after

Six weeks no driving advised here. I couldn't drive for at least a month, I had an infection after the 3rd week, it was too painful to drive for sure.

The bath issue is interesting. I was advised to wait 6 weeks again, but then when we talked about it, the reasoning is because of dilation of the cervix. It takes 6 weeks for the cervix to close enough so nothing can enter and cause an infection in the uterus. Well, most all of us c section moms never dilated at all or much, so that isn't an issue. But it's standard practice to say no bath until after 6 weeks.

For driving I was told 4-6 weeks but to check with insurer. My insurer said that I should follow medical advice but that they have no particular restriction.
I have been sticking to showers and trying not to get soap on the wound and then making sure the wound is well dry by patting dry with clean matrnity pads. I think I wouldleave a bath for as long as possible just to keep everything dry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->