how long can u go OD without intervention?

shopgirl771

mum to Jacob
Reaction score
ok i hope i dont sound like a compete idiot here. im a bit confused over the going OD thing. i think im panicking myself as last pregnancy everyone i knew was early and so was i. this time everyones late!!!

i know normally they wont let u go more than 42 weeks but if ur trying to avoid intervention what happens? how long can u wait? would u eventually have to be induced if u went too long?

help...how does it all work???

It depends on your PCT's policiy how long it will be until they want to book you for induction, varyiong from 10-14 days over. However, you do not have to be induced at any point, it is you who allows them to induce you - they cannot drag you into the hospital to induce you.

I was due to be induced today but have opted for daily monitoring for a few more days at least, as the scan put me forward 6 days but I know my original dates are correct. I am being pressured heavily and tomorrow have to go to meet with consultants to discuss since I am going against their hospital policy - but at the end of the day they cannot force me into anything.

up to a few years ago, NICE guidelines were to offer expectant management (monitoring) for women who were over their EDD (this take varing forms, dependant on your own presentantion) However, new guidelines are to offer an induction date, as bec said, 10-14 days post EDD.

I posted a while ago about going post EDD and prolonged pregnancy (which is post 42 weeks) evidence and studies - It is always key to remember, normal pregnacy is between 37 to 42 weeks.. dispite the lack of evidence of the advantages and benifits to women given by offering induction before 42 weeks. (my nutshell personal opinon ;-)

Please have a read through the evidence and procedures, and you can make your own choices.
https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnan...xpectant-monitoring-management-induction.html

As bec also said, no-one can make you do anything. And I would only add that pregnancy is a naturally helathy state for a women and her baby.. and I also hope that you don't encounter pressure, harrassment and duress to undergo any medical procedure, which isn't risk free, as many women have done, who else-wise might have made different choices.

There are also many different types of intervention that you migth be comfortable with, such as: cervical sweeps, prostogladin gels..and all the things you can do at home (i.e ejaculative sex with your partner, reflexology, essential oils; clary sage, currys and longs walks etc) that can be used time and again before syntocin drips, membraine ruptures, instrumental deliveries and c-sections etc.

Xxx

Becstar your avatar is so gorgeous

thanks for ur responses ladies. bournefree ur article was most helpful. it did throw up a whole load of other Qs but im not going to worry about those now. ill cross that bridge if i come to it iykwim. but well done that must have taken u some time to compile.
bec - i saw ur other post actually which is what prompted me to post this thread. didnt want to high jack urs. how r u doing? can i ask what will u do if baby still hasnt arrived in a couple of days? completely understand ur decision and think id be the same. there is so much pressure to "comply" or "do as ur told" from the professionals isnt there.

I was 9 days over so obviously they had started to discuss things with me. They had said up to 16 days is fine but then theyd strongly encourage daily monitoring at the hospital but obviously there would be a point where enough would be enough :shrug: Luckily it didn't come to that :)!

my first was 9 days over and i was booked in for a 2nd sweep but the induction pressure hadn't started. Where i lived at the time they offer induction at 42 weeks.
luckily my second was a bit more punctual, just a few hours off being a due date baby! but in this area they like to book induction from 10 days over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->