How long does it take for a gas/elec meter to be fitted?

Amber4

Reaction score
We've always had meters in previous properties but when I moved in it was pay monthly so we decided just to keep them like that. But we've had high bills coming in and I just can't afford to do it like that. I'm dreading the bills coming in each month. I'd rather just top them up every week and know that I'll never get bills anymore. I am gonna contact the company but how long does it usually take for them to fit us in to change it? xx

Not long, just beware they may charge you for this, they wanted £400 for us to change from the ones you top up to monthly, needless to say we stayed as we were, rather than a bill coming in each month can you not set up a DD for a set amount each month that they will review at the end of a year, to see if you need to pay more/less, you will know where you stand each month, even with the pay as you go it can be a bit up and down!

It's cheaper to pay a monthly set amount direct debit than use a pre-payment meter hun because you have a service charge added on top. Quite often if you have both your gas and electric with the same company they will offer you an annual discount too. That way you pay the same amount every month and they will review it every so often and inform you if it needs to go up or down.

I'd shop around suppliers rather than changing your meter as well love.

Also if you have a thermostat, did you know it's cheaper to leave your heating on 24/7 and just turn the thermostat up and down rather than to use the timer and have the heating off at night? It costs a lot more to heat up a freezing cold house than to keep one at a constant temperature. We have ours set to about 21 during the day and turn it down to 17 at night, so if the temperature drops below that the boiler kicks in.

Another thing to check is if you have cavity wall and adequate loft insulation. There are lots of companies offering both for free at the moment and they really do help to lower the bills - we had our cavity wall done last year and I could feel the difference immediately.

Plus, PAYG meters are actually more expensive per unit of energy you use than monthly/quarterly bills xx

I'm not sure about a charge. I'll have to see. Tbh I don't like the bills at all. Even if I have to fork a bit out I'd rather it was just covered. Debt worries me so much that's all (I have anxiety) Normal bills don't bother me as I know how much they will be usually but I don't like ones where you aren't sure till it comes in. I'm very organised with bills xx

I'm not sure about a charge. I'll have to see. Tbh I don't like the bills at all. Even if I have to fork a bit out I'd rather it was just covered. Debt worries me so much that's all (I have anxiety) Normal bills don't bother me as I know how much they will be usually but I don't like ones where you aren't sure till it comes in. I'm very organised with bills xx

That's what I was trying to tell you love, if you contact your supplier they prefer you to be on a monthly direct debit. They give you a set amount to pay each month and it never differs. They review it each year and give you plenty of notice before they increase or decrease it. It's much easier than waiting for the bill to arrive. And if you are on a pre-payment meter you still might not know exactly how much you need to budget each month.

Okay. I'll look into it thanks. If I don't pay the right amount will I have to make it up at the end of the year? Could that be a lot or will they check that the amount I'm paying is right and change the monthly payment? Just incase it's way off? x

Okay just had a look and I'm swapping company and will be a set amount each month aslong as I don't over use the amount. :thumbup:

No you won't have to pay if they've undercharged you, they will just adjust your monthly payment to cover it.

By law they have to send someone to read your meter once a year and they will ask you to provide meter readings every so often as well so you shouldn't be too far out.

I hope it makes things more manageable for you xx

Thanks! I appreciate your help so much. I have now changed it and it's 90 a month. (Although I reckon it will go up a little after first month or 2) And I will just submit meter readings myself to make sure it's not way off! :thumbup:

Aw it's my pleasure love. I was clueless until I met my hubby who is an electrical design engineer lol.

They'll ask you to submit a meter reading every quarter and they will send someone to do an official reading once a year xx

prepay meters are more expensive than normal meters not matter what the companys tell you, unfortunally the price of gas/electric has went through the roof in recent years :( xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->