• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How long does your 5 week old take to feed?

Katteh

Reaction score
Please tell me it gets quicker! My little man still takes 45 mins to an hour to feed, which is okay at home but a bit constricting when we go out. Thankfully he does go 3 hours between feeds, but he just takes so long!

It's a constant struggle to keep him awake whilst he is feeding, despite him sleeping for around 1.5 - 2 hours between feeds! He isn't actively sucking for most of it, it just takes me ages to encourage him to eat. His latch isn't perfect but I'm not convinced that's why he is so slow, I think it's just his lack of ability to stay awake! X

This was Mickey. He did this until about 10 weeks old! He is now satisfied after just 5/10 minutes x

Thank you so much for replying, you have given me hope that it won't always be like this!x

I remember thinking it would never get better. Just hang in there x

Mine nursed constantly up until about six weeks, then she only nursed every two hours up until...well she still nurses close to every two hours!

Length of feeds was soooo long for the first couple if months too. She would easily nurse for one hour each time, sometimes two. For several weeks she also ate so often that I rarely even got 20 minutes between feeds. I think if I had never ever ever taken her off the boob she would have been perfectly content.

It got noticeably easier at 6 weeks, and kept improving from there. Of course her wonderful sleep patterns she had from birth went down the toilet... Still haven't gotten much better. :p

Mine is 5 weeks now and averages at 7 mins but has done up to 20 at times recently. I have a very strong and quick let down reflex though so maybe she gets lots of milk quickly so can fill up quicker?? She goes about 2 hourly in the day and 3 hourly at night... xx

My 4 week old only nurses for about 5-10 min max. He is satisfied for 2-3 hours. I too have a strong let down and a huge supply of milk.

My son is 5 weeks tomorrow and most feeds average about 15 to 20 mins but the 2 weeks he has been struggling so much! His latch is great and he feeds great but has been so gassy and screaming during and after feeds! I think I have an overactive letdown, as I too could feed the street with my supply lol! Ive taken him to the docs incase of reflux but due to him already being on meds was reluctant to put him on anything! The past 2 days he has got so much worse, he vomits and screams after every feed! Hes gaining weight well but im sure its reflux as changing positions has helped him control the let down so feeds are better but after hes still the same! Anyone experienced this? Xx

Millie is 5 weeks & takes 10-15mins per feed every 3/4 hours.

She's done that since birth, we haven't had a cluster feed or ever fed for an hour! :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->