• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How long for stitches to dissolve?

Snuffy

Reaction score
It is 5 weeks today since my section and whilst applying my anti fungal cream (I have had an infection), I can feel a stitch at the very end of one side of my scar. I had a closer look tonight and whilst half of the wound looks nicely healed and quite smooth, the other half is very puckered looking and I can see the stitches in places.

Should they all have dissolved by now? They're not particularly bothering me and I have a doctors appointment tomorrow to check my BP and infection, plus my 6 week appointment next week so I will ask - I just wondered if anyone else had this too.

I had a stitch hanging out at about 6 weeks, and it eventually just disappeared. this was the one at the end - I guess because it is knotted and because it is at the end and sticks out it takes longer for it to dissolve.

I had so much palarva with the end stitch on one side dissolving it was unreal! :dohh:

It was sticking outwards of my skin, looked red and was very sore. I couldn't wear jeans or any clothes that rubbed the area.

It wasn't there at my 6 week check - I assume because I hadn't lost enough weight at that point for it to protrude like it did but by 3 months PP it was painful so I went to the GP who refered me back to hospital for the attention of my consultant (after prodding at me with a needle?!). They confirmed the correct type of stitches had been used and told me that some types of stitches can take between 3 - 6 months to dissolve! :wacko:

They told me to go back if it hadn't dissolved by 6 months. It had gone by just over 5 months PP.

I hope yours dissolves quicker! :hugs:

Yikes!

It just seems so odd having one half looking healed overand the other half still with visible stitches lol.

I totally forgot to ask the doctor today, but I have my 6 weeks check next week anyway.

They can take agessss, i had a couple work there way out of my wound and the nurse cut them out bleurgh!!!! That was at least 2-3 months pp as well.

there was me thinking a few wks :lol:

hope it goes asap x

Mine were dissolved by my 6 week check, I did everything I could to avoid looking and touching my scar though so they could have been gone before that!

Thanks everyone. I had my 6 week check yesterday and the doctor said my scar looked like it was healing really well. He said the stitches can take some time to dissolve properly :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->