how long on average...

pcsoph2890

Reaction score
Does it take to bf???
I'm two weeks in and it takes my daughter almost 1.5hrs to feed. Which is fine when I'm at home but if I decide to go out- sitting in a changing room bf her doesn't fill me with anticipation.
Do they tend to get quicker as time goes on??

Admittedly she doesn't suck the entire time at the boob, most of the time she has a nap then restarts again. Should I stimulate her to suck so decrease the time or do I just let her do what she wants???

My lo can take up to an hour or more to bf. He falls asleep too and if I'm just at home sitting on the couch I'll let him stay on the boob because he will eventually start sucking again. I've only had to bf twice while out so far and if he falls asleep I try to wake him up (tickle him, change him, wet wash cloth on his face etc) and if he just doesn't want to wake up I take him off the boob and find he's gotten enough until we're able to get home.

I've heard that when they get older it can only take ten minutes or so. For now I'm just enjoying the cuddles. :)

I know it can be draining having them on for that long though. Especially if your lo is like mine where he eats for an hour and then wants to eat again an hour later!

I'd think that's totally up to you. If you're ok with the long feeds and snuggles then let her set the pace. I personally coax DS to stay awake going by my midwife's advice to undress him and make him a little uncomfy. However I nurse on demand too, so he may spend just as much time as your baby but in shorter periods of time. My DD is very active and I can't sit down for that long without her getting upset with me. I aim for 15 mins on each side though :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->