how long to feed at night?

butterfly_85

Reaction score
My dd is 7 weeks and when I put her to bed it often takes 1 1/2 -2 hrs of her feeding before she falls asleep. She has to fall asleep om the boob otherwise if we put her down in her moses basket she just crys. Is this normal to feed this long and will it gradually take less time?

She also feeds for an hour each times she wakes at night too which is getting exhausting especially on the nights she decides to wake every hour!

Yeah my LO used to take ages to feed, when he was tired ie at bedtime it was much worse. Feeds gradually got shorter & when he was 3-4 months he was done in about 2 minutes! I actually missed the cuddles tho...

Yep perfectly normal, things will get easier - eventually baby will feed much more efficiently, so you won't be constantly feeding! I think around 8-12 weeks was when Alfie became much more efficient. Now he feeds for 5 mins at a time normally - a long feed now is about 15 mins whereas it used to go on for hours!

You're doing a great job. Stick at it, things will get easier :)

Thats reassuring that it'll get shorter. She seems to be permanently attached to my boob at the moment!

Yup, totally normal. Just bubs building your supply up. Don't stress. My dd still tends to fall asleep with the boob at night. She's only just started going down and falling asleep when she's pretty awake. Her bedtime feed is now about 15-20mins and then she's conked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->