How long would you wait after starting a new job to TTC?

zazie

Reaction score
So I started a new job in April. If I hadn't got this job we would have already been TTC by now so it has put a bit of a spanner in the works. It is the same company I have been at for a few years but a totally different team and quite a stretch for me, lots of new things to learn etc. I want to wait until I have been there a reasonable amount of time so that I feel confident doing the job and have some more credibility. I don't want to raise eyebrows by going on mat leave really soon. We were thinking of starting in September but I am still worried that will be too early? I know it could take a while though and my DH will be working away soon so we won't even get the chance to try every month.

What would you do and how long would you wait?

honestly i think September is giving them/you more than enough time to get settled before getting pregnant, dont forget you'll probably wont tell most people till 3 months anyway and just because your pregnant doesnt mean you'll stop doing your job!
if it was me and that was all that was stopping me i'd already be trying by now, you've waited a couple of months and done more than the amount of time legally required

I shall be waiting the minimum to get mat leave entitlement!! You never know how long it will take anyway

September seems perfectly reasonable to me. I had to be in my job about 7 months to be eligible for enhanced maternity pay, I fell pregnant when I had been there about 8 months lol, I went on maternity leave very early but by the time I left I had been there 14 months and I didn't feel awkward, everyone was supportive, I'm due back in September and I'm only a little nervous...!

Yeah, I agree with spicyorange. I want to make sure that I will be with the job a year before I have to go on maternity leave, since that is what is legally required typically. I just moved states and am still looking for a job unfortunately. Once I have a job, we are planning to wait 6 months and then start ttc. That is for two reasons: I want to make sure we FINALLY have health insurance (my private insurance that we have to use for now covers basically nothing, including absolutely nothing maternity related) before getting pregnany. Two, I want to have a bit of a cushion if I end up not being able to work through the entire pregnancy.

Also, it's no one's business at your work if you were TTC versus it just happening.

Thanks ladies. I think we will stick with September :happydance:

I would hate to wait longer anyway, it is already dragging! you have all reassured me that it is a reasonable amount of time to be working somewhere though.

Sounds like you've already decided, but just to throw in that I also think September is totally fine! I once had a manager who was in a similar position to you, she'd worked in the company a while, but moved across to our team from a different department and then got pregnant a few months later.

From what I remember there were no raised eyebrows/nasty comments or anything, everyone was just really nice and supportive. It didn't actually cross my mind at the time that she hadn't been there very long. I think it helped that she was obviously pulling her weight and not just sitting around twiddling her thumbs until she could get preggers and go on maternity leave!

It's also worth remembering but everyone plans pregnancy and they would be very bold (rude) to ask, on the other end of the scale for all they know you could have been trying for years before your got the job.

It's also worth remembering but everyone plans pregnancy and they would be very bold (rude) to ask, on the other end of the scale for all they know you could have been trying for years before your got the job.

This is very true! I agree with others comments too, you never know how long it will take.

My colleague in my old job moved roles across the office and came into my team and was actually pregnant when she made the move but she didn't find out until 16 weeks! So it was like she got the new job and shortly after told people she was expecting and everybody was really supportive and happy for her! This was in Sep/Oct and it still felt like I had worked with her for a long time by the time she went on maternity in Feb.

Thank you for sharing your experiences, it is good to know that this has happened at other people's workplaces and hasn't been a big deal.

We are waiting until next month to start trying. This would mean that the earliest I would go on maternity leave is 1 year into my employment. It also means that I qualify for my employers maternity pay and it is a really good package!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->