How many just skipped cereals all together?

SoldierWife

Reaction score
My son's ped recommended that we start introducing foods when he turned 4 months.

I decided against even bothering with the baby cereals after reading they aren't really all that beneficial and babies usually don't like them. I read that sweet potatoes was a good start so that's what we've started giving him (He LOVES it already too and he's only had a couple spoonfuls over the past 3 days).

Am I weird for not even wanting to bother with the cereals? :shrug:

Not weird at all. I think they are a marketing scam to be honest.

Sophie just ate regular foods starting at 6 months.

I was wondering the same thing. It hardly seems like a good introduction to the different flavours and textures of food.

We never bothered with cereals (though she does get it in her bottles for reflux under the advise of her doctor). Tried purees for a bit but she was having none of being spoon-fed so just started giving her regular food. My little girl is a control freak and will not be coerced into eating anything she doesn't want to. Every time I hear that BWL leads to adventurous eaters I want to scream!

I'm an Army wife so I use my facebook as a means to keep family updated on him, so I posted a picture of him eating his first bite and I was surprised about someone's reaction.

She made a HUGE deal about how she fed her daughter cereals first and being super passive aggressive. :shrug:

In all honesty I hadn't read much into cereals but I had heard how so many of my friends kids didn't like them that I didn't feel the need to bother with them. Once this happened I read more into the nutritional information and wasn't really all that impressed with them regardless.

This was also the person who freaked out on me because I painted my son's room light yellow because it would cause him to not want to sleep in there :dohh:

Pfft, passive aggressive friends on Facebook can take a flying leap!

Nope, no cereals for us. My LO is almost 7 months and we started BLW at almost 6 months. We just did real food - veggies, then fruits.
She still doesn't have grains, meat or dairy yet.

None of mine had cereals. Dd was blw so didnt have any purrees. Ds was tw and he went straight to fruit and veg.

We certainly offered cereals (regular adult porridge and weetabix, etc.), but we didn't do baby rice. The only reason for using baby rice or other rice based porridges is if you're weaning before 6 months and want to offer something other than fruit and veg purees. Babies shouldn't have wheat or oats until 6 months, but rice seems to be okay. We didn't wean until 6 months and I didn't see the point of using baby rice as we did BLW and she was perfectly capable of managing normal adult food, including any healthy cereals we'd eat ourselves.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->