How many oz of expressed milk should a 3 week old be taking?

Jayneypops

Mum to 2 Fairy Princesses
Reaction score
DD2 currently has 3oz at each feed (as thats usually how much I manage to pump from 1 boob each time) but ive started either putting her on my boob to 'finish the feed' or pumpibg a bit off the other side to make up a 4oz bottle as she seems to want about 3.5oz each time. She had around 8 or 9 feeds a day so around 30oz in 24 hours give or take.

Does that seem a lot?

DD2 currently has 3oz at each feed (as thats usually how much I manage to pump from 1 boob each time) but ive started either putting her on my boob to 'finish the feed' or pumpibg a bit off the other side to make up a 4oz bottle as she seems to want about 3.5oz each time. She had around 8 or 9 feeds a day so around 30oz in 24 hours give or take.

Does that seem a lot?

I'm very new to this myself but my 6 day old will happily take 2oz if I manage to express that much, plus a ff top up. He's been back on the breast over the last 24 hrs though so no idea how much he's getting now!

I first started expressing when baby was 4 weeks old and was shocked that he downed the result of 2 pumps and would probably have taken more if we had it!
He has consistently had between 5 and 7oz per expressed bottle ever since (now 13 weeks) but I think he is a bit of a piggy as he only lasts a couple of hours between feeds.

The first time I expressed my son was around 8 weeks, I got 8 ounces from one side (I was full and i make a lot!). Even then my son could take a whole full breast if he wanted to, meaning he was getting around 8 ounces a feed at 8 weeks. I worried like you that he could be getting too much, but was reassured by health visitors that he cannot get too much breastmilk.
I can still get 8 ounces plus from full boobs (not that they're full very often with my piggy!!!), but how much my son takes can vary as to whether he's having big feeds one day or snacking! Even now (hes 14 weeks) if he has an expressed bottle I don't give him more than 4 ounces as I don't know when he has more or less in the day only he does and he can't tell me. So he normally has 4 ounces and i top him up with the breast if he wants more. If I was to leave him with someone I would give him 4 ounces in a first bottle but leave more in another in case he wanted more.
Basically he can't have too much, breastmilk is digested much much faster than formula so they do take more.

Becki x

Thanks for the replies!

I can get about 5oz from a full breast but usually 3oz so I am making up 4oz bottles at the moment (getting 1oz off the other side if I need to). If she wants more I top her up by putting her on the boob. Its working well for us although I worry about my supply as it would be better if I could produce enough to get a stash in the fridge just incase. At the moment im "pumping as I go" so have to pump 8 times a day give or take - very time consuming!
I let her suckle my breast for comfort and have at least 1 feed per day from the boob together with expressing often im hoping my supply won't be affected?
Are there any other ways to boost supply?

So are you primarily giving her expressed? If you are then I can't help.
But I know if I'm expressing to feed I express that feed when needed but if I'm expressing to freeze, I express in the morning when you're at your fullest, I then keep lo on one side rather than switching and express the other, then either the whole lot is frozen or I freeze half and save half for later. If this is then given later I express that feed so my body still know to make it and them store that milk.

Becki x

I don't think there is a set amount, you're baby will let you know if they have not eaten enough. My DD only receives expressed milk since she did not take to BF and would eat 2-3 oz until she got to be around 5 mos and then started taking 5oz. When she was having a growth spurt she would eat even more up to 7 oz sometimes and feed more often. Look for their feeding cues since that's the easiest way to know if you need to give them more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->