How much are bills in a non energy efficient house?

emyandpotato

Reaction score
Like for band D and below? OH wants to move but our last place was not only Band B but also a middle floor flat so heating wasn't a big problem.

What sort of size property are you thinking of and will it likely be a house or a flat?

Sorry forgot to say! Two bed small terrace. You know like the mining houses you get in the North that are all two up two down brick terraces?

Mid terrace? We are in a 2 bed Victorian terrace house. We are right in the middle and have a kitchen extension that has an adjoining extension on one side. Our kitchen backs onto our living room and there is no door between the two, so I can't block the cold air from the kitchen coming through. (Which really annoys me! 😜) Our downstairs is all open plan. We paid £80 a month combined for gas and electric last winter (starting in November) and we have a build up of credit now so much so that we aren't paying anything for the next couple of months.
I do however have an obsession with keeping the heating costs down, (hubby nicknamed me heating nazi !) so ours comes on for 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening, and we are out all day at work.
Hope that kind of helps? Xx

That's brilliant, thank you! Probably a middle terrace, yeah! Okay that's totally doable then I guess. We were paying £30 so it will be a shock but at least it's under the £100 mark.

Just shop around with your provider - we're with eon at the moment. They had the best price fix, plus their blue price promise means they'll tell you if anyone is cheaper by a £1 a week! (They really do to! Even if it is some really obscure company! :haha: )

I warn you though that I do keep things cooler, our thermostat was set to about 18/19 degrees, and I'm an advocate of stick another jumper on and grab a blanket, so not sure if you have kids in all day that it would be as cheap? Xx

We had our heating on a lot more than usual this year I think as we were just home a lot more and we can't control it with a thermostat.
Our house is stone, thatched, with wooden single glazing.
We switched to npower and paid 108 for electric and gas but we overpaid even over the winter so it's about half that now as we were so in credit.
Xx

Sorry forgot to say! Two bed small terrace. You know like the mining houses you get in the North that are all two up two down brick terraces?

i have exactly this! 2 up 2 down terrace house! our g&l is £69 a month and we use a tumble dryer to :)

EDIT: just to add we have double glazing and our house is like a sauna after half hour of the heating being on so even in the real winter we only have the heating on a max of 2 hours a day

We are in a 2 bed flat which is quite roomy. Our boiler is about 30 years old and really not energy efficient. We were paying £30pm for each and we racked up £500 of debt in a year :( we have since started paying £100 combined PM and being much more careful and think we still owe a few hundred but I think £100 is covering what we're using

Mines a large old detached house, but I lay about £120 in gas and £100 in electric! We end up in debt in the winter on gas but in credit in the Summer.

I'd recommend eon too. We were with british gas paying £100 a month for both and ended up in debit. (Ended up in £800 debit in our old property, paying a lot less but were unaware and they took the full amount when we moved)
We are now with eon we put it as £100 but they did suggest less and we are in credit so just put the dd down to use some of that. We are paying £50 per month to british gas for out debit for this property x

We have a 3 bed semi. Double Glazed...that's about it for efficiency. We pay about £120 pm for Gas & Electric....we use a tumble dryer most days though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->