How much BM do you store in each bag?

mara16jade

Mommy of 2 little boys
Reaction score
I just started pumping to begin my stash. :thumbup: I have a whopping 4oz from 2 days. Haha

So how much BM do you store in each bag?

Do you store BM in 2oz increments?
Or one feed per bag?
Or just fill up the bag with as much BM that can fit, and you pull from that stash for the day/couple days?

Thanks!! :flower:

I've just started this week too! :) I have been storing 2-4oz in each bag depending on how much I get, but I think the ideal amount is about 3-4oz and I would never freeze more than 4oz in a bag because they are unlikely to eat more than that in one go. You can always thaw more but can't refreeze hehe.

Saying that, from what I've read, it's okay to thaw say 5oz but only pour 3oz into the bottle and leave the rest in the frige for a few hours and then give baby the next two.. but if you put it all into the bottle you have to discard what's left? Correct me if I'm wrong ladies, very new! xx

You can keep the bm for 12 hours from when it's defrosted but only 1 hour from when baby starts drinking it so PP is right. I store 2oz per bag because I only use it to top up what I've expressed freshly. You'll figure out what's best for you.

Can you add freshly pumped BM to frozen BM? Like if I pumped twice a day a few hours apart?

From what I've read you can pump and put the container in the fridge, add to it through the day and as long as it has been less than 24 hours, you can then freeze it.
OR
You can freeze some and add fresh to it but only if there is more frozen milk than the amount of fresh milk that you're adding, I'm unsure why.
I would not keep taking partly frozen milk in and out of the freezer though, because you've got to be careful it doesn't start to thaw, it can't be re-frozen.

This is my resource https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/milkstorage/milkstorage/#howmuch

It's complicated stuff! hehe X

I used to freeze as much as I had in 24 hours but that was when my son started to refuse the breast and wanted bottles at 4 months and he would take 6oz per feed so I froze 12oz which was good for 2 feeds

I pump all I can during 1 single day, into the bag. Usually I pump 60-70ML in the morning and at midnight, and that all gets mixed together in the same bag and tossed into the freezer.

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know how long you can keep milk in the fridge before freezing it? So for example I expressed some milk on Wednesday, would it be ok to stick into the freezer now or do I have to get rid?

Sorry to hijack but does anyone know how long you can keep milk in the fridge before freezing it? So for example I expressed some milk on Wednesday, would it be ok to stick into the freezer now or do I have to get rid?

Should be fine. You can keep it in the fridge for ~5 days and then you need to either discard or freeze it.

As for the original question, I always froze in 2-3oz increments to avoid waste.

Thanks staralfur glad I don't have to throw it out!

I have been freezing in ice cubes so I can take whatever I need at the time.

I freeze in 3-4 oz. bags. Once defrosted it must be used within 24 hours. There's a 6-6-6 rule that milk is good for...6 hours at room temp after it's pumped, 6 days in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer (1 yr in a deep freeze).

I froze in varying increments depending on what I collected. I would keep in fridge for lo to consume that day and then after few days froze what was left. But the date on the bag will be of the earliest collected milk.
If you plan to keep it in the room check guidelines for room temperature. If your room is warmer you would need to use it sooner and vice versa.

I would never freeze more than 4oz in a bag because they are unlikely to eat more than that in one go.

Yeah I thought that and then when I went away on a hen night he ate 6 to 8oz per feed!!!! I thought he must only need 3-4 according to websites like kellymom!!!

Yeah I thought that and then when I went away on a hen night he ate 6 to 8oz per feed!!!! I thought he must only need 3-4 according to websites like kellymom!!!

Hehe wow! Well as I said 'unlikely' they are all different. I guess it's the average :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->