how much does their school year cost?

hawalkden

Reaction score
I know it's years off being Isaac is at school and then the following year his brother or sister but I'm freaking out already at how much it'll cost yearly and I know when he starts in 2015/16 money etc will be better for us hopefully and things will have changed! Just want to be noisy though too!

For their uniforms? PE kit? Out of school clothing? Shoes?
Trips? What kind of trips do they go on? How often?
Afterschool clubs?
Classmates parties?
School dinner/packed lunches?
Extra curriculum?

How much a year or term does your school cost you and how do you cope with meeting school and child demands?

Here we don't have uniforms so no money for uniforms or stuff like that- day trips over a year(from I when I was at school) was maybe 50€ a year unless you went on a classtrip which is a bit more(people are supported by the local government if they can't afford it themselves)
If there a school clubs they are likely not costing any money, but mostly after school stuff is arranged in village/town/borough clubs rather than school. mostly they aren't too expensive though but they don#t belong to school- so that leaves with the normal schoo,l stuff like note pads or pencils..

I know it's years off being Isaac is at school and then the following year his brother or sister but I'm freaking out already at how much it'll cost yearly and I know when he starts in 2015/16 money etc will be better for us hopefully and things will have changed! Just want to be noisy though too!

For their uniforms? PE kit? total cost of uniform for the year was about £100Out of school clothing? we used to spend about £250 per year on general clothes for Daniel but now that we have uniform it's dropped right down to about £150 per year Shoes? since starting in Sept we've had to buy two pairs of school school for around £38 each. He would of still needed these if he wasn't at school though
Trips? What kind of trips do they go on? How often? they don't do a lot of trips at our school. This month he is going on his first trip (he's in reception) and it's costing us £12.50 for the day. He's going to visit a working farm for the day. I think they tend to do 1 trip per school year and they vary in price. WHen they are in year 6 they go on a big 4 night/5 day trip that costs around £250
Afterschool clubs? we don't do after school clubs
Classmates parties? so far Daniel's been to 3 parties and has another 2 or 3 in the next month. We spend around £5 per child on the present - i try and buy things as i see them in the sales etc
School dinner/packed lunches? packed lunches - really it's no different to having them at home with you. I reckon i actually spend more on food when Daniel on holiday from school as he grazes during the day. For his school lunch i give him: 1 innocent smoothie or 1 innocent apple juice, two slices of bread with philidelphia spread in it, 3 pieces of fruit, 1 'treat'
Extra curriculum? at the moment we don't have any extra curriculum activities.

How much a year or term does your school cost you and how do you cope with meeting school and child demands?

I don't know if you work or not but if you don't then you obviously don't really need the after school clubs so there is no cost there.
Also, as i said, things do even themselves out in some respects. We've only every bought Daniel one pair of shoes for the winter and one pair of sandals for the summer. We've kept to that so no he has a pair of school shoes and a pair of sandals. The only reason we've had to buy him 2 pairs of shoes this year is because he's managed to totally wreck them playing outside at school!! With clothes as well we made the decision that as he was wearing his school uniform all day that he wouldn't go through his regular clothes as quickly. We always do a big shop after christmas for his clothes and spend around £250 on them. This last year we spent around £150 and tbh i think we still ended up buying him too many as he's grown out of a lot of trousers already that he's literally only worn about 10 times each. We've bought all his uniform from the recommend school shop which is supposed to be so much more expensive than the supermarkets. Even buying it from the expensive shop it's cost us £100. I did buy him 2 white polo shirts for his summer uniform from Sainburys and to be quite frank they are crap - they do not get clean like the proper school shop ones.

For their uniforms - My sons uniform - jumpers are £10 each, polo shirts £7.50 each or Asda £2.00 for 2, Trousers £2 each, shorts £2 each, Socks £2 for a pack of 7, Coat £35.00, School shoes £21, Sandshoes £24 (2 pairs) wellies £10, P.E tshirt £5, P.E shorts £3.50.

His lunchbox was £7.50. Pack up usually costs me £10 a week.

He has been on 2 trips so far, (he's reception) first was to the theatre £13, second was to a wildlife centre £10.

He doesn't go to an afterschool club as I'm at home.

He's been to a lot of parties, we tend to spend between £10-12 per child and £1.50 for the card.

He doesn't do anything extra curriculum at the minute so not sure how much it costs.

HTH x

Afterschool clubs?
Classmates parties?
Extra curriculum?

For uniforms etc it really depends on the school, and what they allow. The school my 2 go to, it's grey bottoms (school trousers or skirt) and white polo shirt with a maroon jumper. They do prefer the school branded jumper which can only be bought in 1 shop :wacko: and is about £12 each :shock: but they allow any plain maroon jumper or cardi. Last lot of plain ones I got were 3 for £10.

PE kit, the school doesn't designate, it's just shorts or joggies and a t shirt :) they can be got cheap as :)

Shoes - our school doesn't bother what shoes they wear TO school but they do require them to have black plimsolls for wearing IN school. They are very cheap though. I tend to buy a couple of sizes when they're cheap in the back to school offers so they can move into the next size when needed :)

School trips vary but we've never had one more than £6 and that was to Edinburgh Zoo, including travel from out here!

We don't do aferschool clubs as I'm not working but that may change, can't advise on that much sorry :flow:

Classmates parties - well obviously it depends, you might get a few in a month then none for ages, I tend to keep a drawer with little bits in (small gifts, gift bags, cards) which I pick up here and there so that there's always something there if I get a party sprung!

Packed lunches are the way forward for saving cost. School dinners here are £1.80 each which for 2 kids every day would add up fast. The portions are tiny too. I give my 2 a sandwich, a drink, a piece of fruit and either a yogurt, a cereal bar or something similar. They never complain and it's way cheaper than school dinners plus you know what they're having :)

As for extra cirricular, it depends what they end up wanting to do really, at the moment my daughter goes to girls brigade which is £1 a week, my son goes to boys brigade which is also £1 a week, swimming club is £3 each per week, plus extra joining costs. I thought that was bad till I heard what Judo costs lol.

Sorry hun I've ended up ramblin!

x

My LO hasn't started just yet, but hope this helps abit.

uniform - £9 for 2 school jumpers
£8 - 2 school trousers
£3- school shorts
£5 - 6 polo shirts
£10 - P.E kit (shoes extra £3)
£4 - swimming costume and hat
£10 - 3 school dresses
£15 - socks and tights
£4.50 - sunhats

Lunch is £2.10 a day for a 2 course cooked meal at school.

£5 donation towards cooking and crafts.

Afterschool clubs?
Classmates parties?
Extra curriculum?

At the school my Daughter goes to uniform is quite expensive, especially compared to the other schools around here.
*Jumpers are 10 pound and they have to have the school ones (we have 2 per child as DD2 is also starting in sept)
*Either a School Jacket or Blazer which is 30 pounds
*Trousers/skirts which are 2 for 10 pounds
*Shirts which are 3 for 10 pound
*Socks 5 for 8 pounds
*Tie which is 4 pound
*Summer dresses 2 for 8
*Summer socks 5 for 5 pounds
*P.E kit probablly comes to about 8 pounds.

So far this year she has only had one trip and that cost 10 pound.

Not many seem to have parties now she is a bit older, most seem to have them at 5 and 6. Shes had one this year and we just stuck 5 pound in a card.

After school clubs altogether have cost us 25 this year but they were optional.

We do packed lunch so that saves a bit, just a sandwhich, fruit, yogurt and rice cakes.

Extra Curriculum costs 9 pound every half term.

:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->