How much expressed milk to feed?

mlm115

Mom
Reaction score
My dd is almost 5 weeks old and we have been feeding her one 3oz bottle a day. The pediatrician and lactation nurse both said this was a lot for her to eat, but I'm confused. She sometimes doesn't seem satisfied and will want to eat no more than 2 hours after, when normally she would go at least 3 hours between feedings (eats 7 or 8 times per day) DD was 7lbs at birth and up to 9 lbs 2oz a couple days ago, so she is a good eater it seems like. Sorry for the ramble- just really wondering how much expressed milk to feed and if I could be over feeding?

Different babies are different. Mine was a good eater too. If 3oz is working well for you then I would keep feeding that. Make sure you are using good bottle feeding technique (e.g. paced feeding) and a slow flow nipple -- those things reduce the chances that you are overfeeding. But mine "overate" every single day at daycare. I was able to pump enough to keep up with him, and he complained if he got less, so that's what worked for us.

My 2 month old can easily down,a 6-7 oz bottle of expressed milk, and don't you dare try to take it out of her mouth before she's done! She was 6 lbs 5 oz at birth and is now 11 lbs 9 oz :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->