How much expressed milk to leave for EBF 3 month old?!

xxxLeoxxx

Reaction score
I know this question is a bit like how long is a piece of string but any advice would be great.

I'm going out for a Christmas do on Friday. I'll be gone from 7:30pm until about 1am. I don't plan to drink much (maybe a couple glasses of wine early in the evening) so will be able to breastfeed when I get home.

My DD would usually do the following in the evening:

7-8pm: feed to sleep, stay downstairs with us until we go up at 11pm or so
3am: feed (cosleeping)
7am: feed
9am: wake for the day

So in theory, my OH would just need to give one expressed bottle at her 7-8pm feed and she wouldn't usually have another feed until after I am home but I'm thinking her behaviour might be different without me here.

How much EBM would you leave and how much in one bottle? I have 15oz frozen and don't know if that's enough. I've never left her in the evening but have left her twice for a couple of hours in the day so she's taken EBM before but has only taken 4oz or so which surely isn't enough to sustain her till 3am?!

I'm probably over thinking it due to my anxiety at leaving her for the evening!!

That amount sounds fine.

My babies have only ever taken a MAX of 120mls for an expressed feed , I think that's about 4-5oz. I haven't had to express for Emma but Thomas I did often and Sophie every now and again.

General rule of thumb is 1 oz for every hour you are gone. At 3 mo, my babies took 2-4 oz per feeding. 15 oz is a ton. You should be fine :)

Thanks for the replies ladies. I left OH with 3 x 5oz bottles and she had one full bottle at 9pm then slept till 6am so 5oz must have been more than what she normally has from me given the massive sleep. Unfortunately I had defrosted all that milk so the other 2 bottles went to waste! I was so paranoid she'd be starving, maybe I'll be a bit more relaxed next time :) hopefully anyway x

That's great she slept especially for you if you were in bed late.

I always leave too much too but try pump over a few days before so I only have to defrost some frozen. The fridge milk there for backup but can gonin the freezer if not used. Sorry that was a very confused description

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->