How much milk to give when weaning???

Tinylo

Mum to 2 boys
Reaction score
I just wondered of those mums that have started weaning how much milk you give your lo's at each feed. Is it the same or has it changed??

4 weeks ago Lewis had 5 milk feeds a day x 7oz. We've worked up to 2 - 3 teaspoons of fruit puree for breakfast and veg puree for tea, but he's still having 5 milk feeds a day x 7oz.

Is this too much??
Should I should try to increase his puree and slightly reduce his milk, to 5 - 6oz per feed??

Thanks. x

You shouldn't cut back their formula/breastmilk at all when introducing solids, solids should just be in addition to. They don't get much nutrition from the solids, yes it's good for them, but the bulk of their nutrition is supposed to be from breastmilk/formula for the first year. Solids really are just for teaching them how to eat from a spoon and introducing new flavors

i started giving my lo baby rice last week.
she is now having it in morning & evening and has about 2-3oz of milk too whereas before she would have about 6oz... does this sound ok?

she is now having it in morning & evening and has about 2-3oz of milk too whereas before she would have about 6oz... does this sound ok?

How old is your LO?? How much rice is she having at each feed?? I think the milk is more important if she's under 7 months than the rice, you could try giving her a little less rice, that way she may take a bit more milk.

Every baby is different, Lewis wants more milk now he's on solids than he did before......the little oink oink :rofl:

Your LO is a similar age to mine, is that right Angelica? If so I don't know how comfortable I would be if Alasdair's formula intake dropped that much. Maybe by an oz or so but not by 3-4 oz.

I have just this week started weaning Jaiden, infact we are on day 3! Ive been giving him 2/3 spoons of baby rice or porridge mid morning followed by his usual 6oz formula. His whole formula intake has remained the same for a 24 hr period.
At this early stage of weaning, milk should not be substituted atall.
Hope this helps x

I agree with the others, maybe give a little less rice so she eats more formula. Also are you giving the formula or the rice first? If giving rice first I'd switch it to formula first to see if you can get her to eat more of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->