how much porridge for baby?

Rhiannon

SAHM to Rhys
Reaction score
hi ladies,

i know some people will dissagree with me feeding LO baby porridge at such a young age, however i am doing it for reasons which i see as good reasons.

my LO has quite bad reflux - which gaviscon isnt helping.

i have read that a small amount of porridge/baby rice can help babies who suffer with reflux so i am trying it out to help my LO.

my questions are - has anyone else used baby porridge or rice for relux (as opposed to for food) and had success?

also - how much should i be giving him? (e.g. 1 spoon of porridge and then a feed (usually 6oz) or 2 spoons of porridge and a 4oz feed) so far ive only been giving him 1 teaspoon of porridge with 4 teaspoons of water, before a feed. he is a very hungry baby and im sure would eat until i stopped feeding him - i dont want to overfeed him.

all advice and opinions welcome

thanks in advance

xxxxxx

In cases of very bad reflux a doctor may advise adding it directly to the bottles to thicken the milk slightly. They would direct you on the quantity to be added. You may also need to use different teat as well. They can also prescibe formulas for reflux as well.

Reflux can be horrible. Our LO had it until 6 1/2 months. We didn't use that method but he was on a couple of meds.

How old is your LO?

In cases of very bad reflux a doctor may advise adding it directly to the bottles to thicken the milk slightly. They would direct you on the quantity to be added. You may also need to use different teat as well. They can also prescibe formulas for reflux as well.

Reflux can be horrible. Our LO had it until 6 1/2 months. We didn't use that method but he was on a couple of meds.

How old is your LO?

he is 8 weeks - he is currently on gaviscon but it doesnt seem to work as well as i think it should. the hv thinks there is no problem at all with his feeding - and i feel as if my baby is just going to have to put up with not enjoying his food - which is terrible.

im glad your LO is better - its an awfull thing to see them go through.
x

A lot of people are really dismissive of reflux - if the baby is gaining weight, they don't think it's an issue...

I would see a doctor before you do anything new. Gaviscon doesn't seem to work for a lot of babies. Our LO was on Losec. We saw a few doctors as the first took a look at our chubby bub and told us there 'obviously' wasn't a problem.. 'all babies are sick sometimes'. But I knew being sick 10-20 times a day and a very fussy feeder wasn't normal.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->