how much weight did your newborns lose?

Mummy2B1989

Reaction score
my mjdwife was out this morning to see me and lo. he is 4days old now and was 8lbs 13oz at birth. today he has lose just over 8% of body weight and is just over 8lbs now.

shes happy hes latching well and eating with wet and dirty nappies but eill recheck weight on thurs and if he hasnt gained he will need to be referred to the infant feeding teambat the hospital. anyone had similar experience

Has your milk come in yet? Newborns are built to lose weight till your milk comes in. Then they'll start gaining weight, but aren't expected to regain birth weight till 14 days (although some do it sooner).

My LO had lost nearly 10% at day 3. Day 5 she was gaining and by day 10 had reached birthweight. This was despite having not the best latch.

My son was born at 7lbs 8.6oz and dropped down to 6lbs 15oz. At 9 days he was up to 8lbs 1oz.

DS was 6lbs 2oz at birth and 5lbs 10 oz 3 days later. Then at 2 weeks of age he was 7lbs.

My lg weighed 6lbs and dropped down to 5lbs11 I think
She's almost 5 months old and still weighs only 12 lbs. she's petite.

First lo lost 6%, was well over birth weight by a week. Second lost 8%, was slower to start gaining, but doing fine without any interference. Up to 10% is normal.

Both of mine lost about 10%. As long as diaper output is good, I would ask for several opinions (one of them being an IBCLC) as to whether and what kind of feeding intervention is necessary/beneficial.

DS weighed 5lb15 at birth then on day 5 (when my milk came in) he weighed 5lb7. Day 10 he was 5lb14 so I expect he's back up to birthweight by now - he's 2 weeks old today

That sounds completely normal. Tell her to back off :haha:

My son was born at 6 lb 2 oz. When he was 1 day old he was 6 lb 0 oz, and when he was 3 days old he was 6 lb 5 oz. Now at 5 weeks he is 9 lb 2 oz. He's gained 1-2oz a day.

But my friends baby lost a full pound in the hospital and if she had lost 1 more oz she would have had to stay in the hospital. It took her 18 days to gain it back, she was EBF.

DS2 started of 7lb 7oz, dropping 100gs in the first 5 days. At 10 days he'd lost another 30gs, so the mw arranged to come and see us again at day 12. At that point he'd lost another 20gs again, so we had another appointment booked for day 14. At 14 he regained most of his birth weight, but before discharging us they booked another visit with us for day 19 to make sure he continued to gain. Which he had - up to 3.6kg / 8lbs. Today at day 24 he weighs 3.7 / 8lns 4oz. It's really common for babies to lose weight during the first fortnight. It seems a bit hasty worrying you about feeding referrals so early on.

DD was 9lbs when she was born and dropped to 8lbs 4oz by Day 3. We had a bit of a slow start to BF - bad latch and she was really jaundice and sleepy so she kept nodding off during feeds. It took her just over 2 weeks to get back to birth weight but my MW was really supportive, kept reassuring me all would be fine and it was. Some babies just gain weight slower than others, even now my DD is only gaining 4-5oz a week in average but she is growing steadily and very content.

Definitely don't feel pressured into doing something you don't want to do.

X

Thomas lost 190grams from his birthweight of 3320grams (at day four). My milk came in on day 5. He was 3400g at day 8.

I don't know what Sophie lost in that first week. She was 3615g at birth and 3800g at day 8. Day 33 she was 4600g and day 40 she was 4860g. She gained about 280g per week I think, as a newborn. That is about 9-10oz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->