How often did your 8 month old nurse?

LittleNugget

DD and expecting #2
Reaction score
My LO has always loved the boob. She's now almost 9 months old and still nurses 5 times a day, although she doesn't ask for it. I stick her on because that's our routine. Is it okay to take her down to 4 (or even 3) times per day now? I don't know how much she needs at this age. She eats 3 solid meals a day and has 1 sippy cup of very diluted juice. Thanks!

3-4 times a day would be fine. My little one was feeding 4 times a day at that age and has recently gone down to 3 and is 9.5 months old now. She has three meals and snacks too. X

I would be cautious cutting back feeds at this age unless you are looking to stop bf soon. At this age bm should still make up the majority of lo's nutrition. At 8 months my guy was still feeding every 2 hours or so throughout the day, bm should always be offered before solids until 1 year. After one year of age the minimum of feeds is 3-4 if you are not supplementing with an alternate milk

My LO was still on about 5 or 6 feeds at that age despite eating food really well. As she got more active she preferred snacks she could carry in her hand and eat while she played. She dropped naturally to three feeds around 1yr old and stayed with that till 18months where she dropped to two.

My baby girl will be 8 months old in the morning!
She is quite attached to nursing and we still do it a lot (well, I didn't really think it was a lot until I read this thread lol!)
She can only fall asleep nursing, so that's at night and twice a day, maybe 3 times, for naps. She always nurses first thing in the morning, and since we co-sleep, as she pleases through the night (at least 2 times). Then, probably 2 more times when she's hungry in the day, minimum. So we're talking around 8 times in a 24 hour period!
She's happy with it & so am I, and she's staying right on her percentile line so its working for us. I should also add that we BLW & Ive been thinking she wasn't eating much solid food (she likes food, but seems to play with it more than swallow it). We are out of town, staying with family, so I got those baby food pouches for convenience. It turns out she's only eating 4 oz a day, a few bites of finger foods & maybe a bit of Cheerios. So I guess she's making up for it with her milk lol (she loves those pouches too, so it's not that, she eats until she's full!)

My baby girl will be 8 months old in the morning!
She is quite attached to nursing and we still do it a lot (well, I didn't really think it was a lot until I read this thread lol!)
She can only fall asleep nursing, so that's at night and twice a day, maybe 3 times, for naps. She always nurses first thing in the morning, and since we co-sleep, as she pleases through the night (at least 2 times). Then, probably 2 more times when she's hungry in the day, minimum. So we're talking around 8 times in a 24 hour period!

Oh I forgot to add night time feeds to my total. So yes, around 7 bfs in 24hrs

6:30am bf
8:00am breakfast
10:30 bf
Nap
12:30 lunch
2:30pm bf
(sometimes 4:30 bf too)
5-5:50pm dinner
6:30 bf
x 2 per night usually.

At 9 months my dd had 5 day feeds and probably 2 night feeds. She too didnt demand so I dropped one day feed a month after that, so she was at 3 at 11 months, 2 at 12 months... She was fine with that, but if she demanded more or needed soothing I'd feed her.

Thank you everyone! My DD looooves solids but I want to make sure she gets the right amount of milk too. We'll just keep doing what we're doing for now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->