How often do you breastfeed when baby starts sleeping through the night?

phrumkidost

Reaction score
Basically that's my question. My almost 6 week LO has gone a few stretches of 3-4 hours between feeds at night and Im wondering what happens when those stretches get longer. e.g. if he starts to sleep 5-6 hours at night, will he still feed 8-12 times in a 24 hour period?

My lo has been sleeping 5+ hrs at a time at night since like 3 weeks old and it hasn't really effected how often he nurses during the day. I don't really count though. I tend to just feed him when he is hungry

Just keep feeding on demand :flower: they may drop feeds or feed more frequently during the day. It's all fine as long as they get to feed whenever they want to. Just don't do too much pumping/bottle feeding in the early days and you'll be fine.

Also, sorry to say it, those longer stretches disappear for many babies around 4 months...I hope you are lucky though and don't experience that!

Phoebe has given me 5-6 hour stretches pretty much from birth. She now does the odd 8 hour stretch :happydance: i feed on demand and she'll typically go 2 hours between feeds in the day, sometimes more/less x

Thanks ladies! Ive been feeding on demand without any pumping or bottle feeding. I kinda like having a number so I can gauge if Jamyang is feeding enough, but I probably just need to stop being so neurotic about things and just trust my body and his are doing what they should.

Thanks ladies! Ive been feeding on demand without any pumping or bottle feeding. I kinda like having a number so I can gauge if Jamyang is feeding enough, but I probably just need to stop being so neurotic about things and just trust my body and his are doing what they should.

There is no right or wrong answer. You can gauge how hes doing by his nappy output. Your wanting 5/6 wet nappies a day and if hes over 6 weeks at least 1 dirty every 10 days or so at least. More frequent is fine too.
His weight gain, skin tone and alertness are all things to look at too. :flower:

No number will help because he may get kne ounce in a feed or 5

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"