How often to change boobs when cluster feeding

sezzolou

Reaction score
My 8 day old has been cluster feeding for over 3 hours. Most of the time he's been squirmy and windy which I assume is all part of it? He's been pulling off the nipple alot in the last hour or more. I bottle fed ds1 so this is all new to me. Didn't think the cluster feeding would start this young? Am I right in just letting him have as much as he wants even though he's obviously windy and has been sick (small amount) a few times? Also, how often should I change sides during a cluster feed?

Thanks ☺️

I used to change sides whenever she was repeatedly pulling off one side. Gave her and me a change!

if I remember correctly I was doing 20-40 mins per breast while cluster feeding. my dd cluster fed a lot and yes, it did start quite early. if he starts pulling off the nipple maybe give him a burp and try the other side?

if I remember correctly I was doing 20-40 mins per breast while cluster feeding. my dd cluster fed a lot and yes, it did start quite early. if he starts pulling off the nipple maybe give him a burp and try the other side?

^^ This exactly. For both my LO's the cluster feeding started just after the week-old mark (And with my second, any time she was fussy at all I just fed her, having learned too late that that's why my DS was so fussy as a baby!)

You're doing great! The cluster feeding can last for several weeks... or a few days on then a break for a day or two then again for a few days. My DD would cluster feed and then throw up large amounts and then scream to be fed again, and I just went along with whatever she seemed to want. It worked itself out after a few weeks.

Good luck!!

During cluster feeding i'd usually go 2 hours per side, but i always had oversupply and lots of milk

i would do an hour each side or when he would pull away

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"