How to clean sick out of moses basket mattress?

charmy28

Reaction score
So I bought a Moses basket for baby but it is just a piece of foam and no kind of waterproof cover to wipe, It also says you cannot wash in machine. How do you clean sick and pee out of it?? because I have heard this is what can cause cot death when the bacteria from sick etc gets into the mattress.
Bit worried about this, anyone know ????

I bough mattress protector to go
Over the top of the cover that your talking about then also u can get fitted sheets for the little mattress but I just bought some soft pillow cases ... They fit perfect then u just fold the sides under... That way the sick had to go through the case and the protector and the other case :)

Personally I would buy a new one. I only re-use a clean mattress but if I couldn't be certain of that I would get a new one. They're cheap enough

https://www.mothercare.com/Motherca...tress/206405,default,pd.html#q=moses mattress

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Moses-Ba...n_Bedroom_Bedding_PP&var=&hash=item4156b8fba7

You can buy protective sheets to go over them. I have never seen one with out a plastic covering tbh, I just to just wipe it clean.

If you are in the UK mothercare do them for £10.

I hand washed the one from my pram - it took ages to dry but it is nice and clean and smells nice

Most Moses basket mattresses now do have a plastic cover, I would personally just buy a new mattress. The one we have has a breathable cover but its thick, quilted and waterproof and can be wipe clean and I think it can be removed and washed if needed xx

Thanks ladies.....decided to chuck it in the machine in the end.....looks and smells great. May have to invest in a waterproof one though for piece of mind. Does anyone know anything about the chemicals that they are meant to be treated with? I've read arsenic etc. to keep them fire saftey. Is this true?? Will washing it get rid of the chemicals??

I believe that after it was found such chemicals/metals are potentially a contributing factor to SIDs they are no longer used in the manufacture of mattresses for babies xx

oh thank you summer rain.....are companies not allowed to use them now then due to British safety standards? bit paranoid as got mine from eBay lol ....x

oh thank you summer rain.....are companies not allowed to use them now then due to British safety standards? bit paranoid as got mine from eBay lol ....x

I'm not sure but it will often state on the label that it is free of x, y and z. I know mine says 'antimony free' and that was the main chemical (well technically speaking its a metal similar to lead) that was mentioned in the news stories about the research that was carried out xx

Is it second hand? You should never used second hand mattresses for a baby.

You can buy new ones in argos for £10

no its not second hand its a new one but obviously worried bout baby puking and weeing on it and not being cleaned properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->