How to explain autism to a sibling

smurff

Mummy to Emily and Harry
Reaction score
Hi, my 4yr old little boy is just starting to notice things ate different with his older sibling. She is 6yrs old and has level 2 autism. She talks but at a stage a 3yr old would. Sometimes she plays other times she likes her own space and likes to play on her own. She doesn't like loud noises and can't follow or understand games. Her brother is very understanding and tells everyone not to make loud noises around her, he always helps her and looks after her and is very protective.i have tried to explain autism to him but I'm not sure how much he understands. When he wants to play with his sister sometimes she runs away from him, I have noticed a few times it's starting to upset him....I tried to explain that sometimes she needs her own space and how much she loves him and when she doesn't understand something she runs away from everyone not just him. Any tips on any other things I could do or say to help him understand.

I think you just have to continue consistently giving your four year old time to talk to you. Unfortunately, until after about 7 kids really struggle with logic. So it will continue to bother him and he won’t be able to truly rationalize it. But you are doing the right thing.

I’m sure you have seen these but I like these links

General tips on talking to neurotypical siblings
5 Tips for Talking to Neurotypical Kids About Siblings with ASD

It could also be helpful to read some books with DS that center around ASD behavior. This is a great list of picture books with descriptions. It would also give you two time together. The only thing I don’t like is that a lot of these books will label the sibling and I’m very against labeling.
Autism Books for Siblings | The Sensory Spectrum
“Just Because” by Rebecca Elliott might be a good one. I think it avoids saying autism and it’s about a boy who loves his sister with ASD.

And my last tip is to have a plan. Make a list of things that make him happy so that when he feels hurt because DD needs space that he knows what he can do. Maybe he can have a special space in the house he can go to filled with all his favorite things. Or he can join mom or dad in an activity instead.

Hope that helped and wasn’t just things you are already doing :(

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, it was really helpfull

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back