How to keep cats out of my garden

sparkle_1979

Mum to Ruby born Oct 2009
Reaction score
Does anything really work? I'm worried I'm going to miss some poo and the girls will touch it..

I've about 5 a day sad it's driving me half mad :wacko:

Some things meant to work are to have mirrors or cds hanging so the cat sees its own reflection and gets scared,orange peels and you can buy devices that emit a high frequency sound to scare them off too.

I have found the best thing is a contech Scarecrow Animal deterrent. It attaches to a hosepipe and senses when something crosses its path. It then sprays an arc of water at whatever has set it off.

This is mine in action. (the cat is my cat - he was stupid enough to go near it - it successfully keeps next doors 5 cats out of my vege patch)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151391397666455&set=vb.646376454&type=3&theater

Chilli powder on your flower beds keeps them out of them

I think the chilli powder is a little bit cruel as if they wipe their paws on their eyes it will hurt.

I don't have cats and I hate finding cat crap everywhere!

Yeah I don't want to hurt the cat but jeez it's driving me mad .... It's disgusting, I dint have a pet yet everyday I'm out clearing up after someone else's cat

That's what makes me angry too! :grr:

What about getting a dog ;)x

Then I'd have clear up dog poo... With a two and a four yr old I clear up enough ;)

It's the smell they won't go in it so won't go on there paws. It's the most natural nicest way to keep them out.

My cats are indoors but hate anything citrus especially satsuma or lemon peal. If we have put in bin they stay well clear

I'd go for the water deterrent its the most humane way i think.

xx

stray water at them with a water bottle (you know the sports type ones). after a few times they wont come back.
or chilli powder as a pp said, it wint hurt them but you do need to replace it once it rains.. xx

I never see them so assume its night time so I can't spray them.. I'm going to try chilli powder x

Er chili powder is pretty inhumane. I mean sure you'd like to think if they got it on them they wouldn't get it in their eyes, but how do you think they clean themselves? Only one way for them to try and get it off, and it will just spread it all over their face. Id try that motion sensor water thing

Chilli powder isn't very nice for any wildlife let alone domestic cats. Whose to say they won't tread in it? Try citrus things - they hate the smell.

they wont tread in it. as soon as they smell it they will go away. x

they wont tread in it. as soon as they smell it they will go away. x

What about birds? Frogs? Etc, what about cats with damaged noses who can't smell? Chilli powder isn't a safe deterrent or humane. Water is.

I had a serious problem with it at my old house and the only thing that worked was jeyes fluid, they hate the smell of it although you need to make sure it's dried before you leave it as a puddle of it is toxic to animals, dried it's fine because it just smells of disinfectant.

Get a dog lol - we used to get loads but since having a dog we don't get any!!

Before the dog we tried those things that emit the high frequency thing. The trouble with those is that they don't always cover the whole area of the garden so they still go in the garden where the thing doesn't cover it. Also the batteries run out and you tend to only realise when the poo starts appearing again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->