How to prevent a brat..?

Amy-Lea

Reaction score
Hallie is only 9 months but I'm just dreading her being a brat. She the most pleasant baby ever, always smiling and laughing and you and most people comment on the fact but I'm finding at home when she goes for the DVD's, any wires, or just something in general she shoudn't go near and we say in a clear stern tone 'HALLIE NO' like a dog really, she stops , tenses up and screws her face up and does a little screech, not lasting more than a few seconds but :dohh: I dont want that. Im just assuming its the beginning of a difficult future.

So basically what am asking is, how do you discipline a 9 month old?
I dont mean as in telling off, or naughty steps or nothing, just general
disciple, how to behave, how can I make her not do stuff like that?

I have the same problem. When I say Caitlyn, no! I either get the look of death, or she just grins at me and carries on :rofl: If I take something off her, well, it's not off her for long because she doesn't stop screaming untill she gets it back!!

Yeah like I will give her my mobile, I will receive a text so take it off her and write a reply then end up saving it to drafts to give her it back coz she squeels like a piggy ha

One thing to do is say no and if she continues, take her and put her in a different location.

Another word of advice, don't give in :)

Bella nods her head and says "yes" whenever i say no!! Also se has a new trick since my brother has been babysitting these past 2 days, he's only gone and bloody well taught her to say "yeah, yeah, yeah" with attitude. Its like having a teenager already :dohh:

Agree with leeanne, stick firm and move them to a different room if they carry on

Yeah. The main thing is to not give in.

Persistance. Make sure she knows what shes doing is wrong, and if she doesn't listen she'll get punished for it. She needs to know that when you say no, you mean no, and carrying on will get her into trouble.

I know my little man is a lot older, but if she has something shes not suppose to have or something you need, take it and say "NO" she may scream for a while (maybe a little longer) but after you have been doing this for so long she will realise there is no sense in screaming because she is not going to get it, but like Leanne said dont give in, if you are going to do it you need to do it all the time not just sometimes, thats how Dec learned and now more often than not if he gets his hands on something he is not suppose to have he will come and give it to me.

callum has turned into a right little screamer this last week. If he cant do something he screams. He is so persistant though, i'll tell him no and move him away but he wont give in until he's done what he wants to do!!

Dont give in like the others said, its hard and it might take a while, but they'll give up in the end!

Exactly what Leeanne says , never give in , the older they are the the harder it gets to stop it. Nip it in the bud early is the best so they know ! :)

lmao i think mine was born a brat :)

I agree with Kay, nip it in the bud now hun before it ends up getting ten times harder

I normally try and detract her attention from the cables etc and onto one of her toys instead

Don't give in. I know it's sometimes hard but it will be much better in the long run.
Agree with Kay, nip it in the bud...

i always say maddi 'NO' then she looks at me with such distain, and smiles :dohh: so i just normally move her or take what ever it is away! though i just melt with her smile :dohh: x

I agree with dont give in! if they cry and you give whatever they want back, they will realise that crying = getting their own way. Make no mean no, even though it's hard sometimes and they soon learn.
Bethanie is going through the whole brat stage, but we try our best to be firm and she seems to understand most of the time! You have to be cruel to be kind sometimes!

Consistency is the key. If you stop her from doing something once, then the next time she does it, stop her again. That way you both know where you stand. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs.K2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->