• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How to sterilize out of the house?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
We've started combi-feeding and use a steam sterilizer at home, but once a week I take LO to my parents' house for the evening and I don't know how to sterilize a bottle there. They don't have a microwave and they don't really want a big steam sterilizer like ours cluttering their kitchen. Is there a smaller alternative? Can we just boil one in a pan? I don't really like Milton as we use it at work and it irritated my skin badly.

Also, how old does LO have to be before we stop sterilizing?

I think you can just boil them in a pan for 10 mins x

I used to boil them in a pan for about 30 minutes, the way my mum used to before there were microwaves!

The "how old" debate goes on and on. I did it until a year old, some say you can stop at 6 months. I suppose once they start rolling about on the floor they are starting to pick up all sorts of germs and stuff so sterilising isn't so much of an issue.

i just stopped sterilizing at 6 months, when i'm out i bring a few clean bottles and then just wash at home

When I go off for a trip to parents/in laws I sterilise the bottles ahead of time, put them together with a sealing disc and keep the teats in breast milk bags. Saves having to carry a Milton bucket or boiling them for ages

There are sterlising microwave bags that you can use up to 20 times. I used those before we got our water steriliser.

I was going to say microwave sterilizer they arent big but since they dont have one i would just suggest boiling them for a bit!

Sorry, I skimmed past them not having a microwave. Boiling water for 5 mins I think.

I thought it was five mins boiling in a pan. I'd just sterilise before leaving the house though.
Think it's six months for sterilising, but some people do it up to a year. It used to be a year but guidelines recently changed :)

Can you not just take sterile bottles with you?

Once sterilised and made up bottles are sterile for 24hrs.

Yer you can just boil them for about 5 mins.
You can also by sterilising tablets/liquid that you add to water

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->