How to stop breastfeeding 21 month old

Sarah Lou 80

Reaction score
Hi all, just looking for advice on how to stop breastfeeding. My almost 21 month old still feeds a lot in the day. She's not having anything overnight and doesn't go to bed on the boob anymore but I'm struggling in the day. Part of me thinks I'll leave her to self wean but she's showing no signs of stopping and I really don't want to be feeding her past 2 years old.

People tell me just stop! These people have no idea! It's not that easy when you've got a screaming toddler who just wants comfort and is clawing at your top to get to your boobs!

My dd is just over a year old. She is still nursing in the morning and before bed, however we have stopped all nursing and bottle during the day a little over a week ago. During the week was easy since I work, however, when I'm home she wants it bad. She only recently realized she can pull my shirt down so I wanted to stop before it became a habit.

The only thing that seems to be working is distraction. Every time I see her coming towards me in a way I can tell she wants to nurse I stand up so she can't get to me then I bring out an activity she really likes like bubbles, crayons, or paint, a few times I put her in the car to drive around the block, we would go outside....pretty much anything that took her attention away from nursing. I also noticed that she will want to nurse if I am sitting/laying a certain way on the couch since it's usually the position I get in when she would nurse. I now make myself aware of my body language and how I'm sitting so she won't associate it.

I hope this helps a little! I know it's a hard process. :hugs:

Hi all, just looking for advice on how to stop breastfeeding. My almost 21 month old still feeds a lot in the day. She's not having anything overnight and doesn't go to bed on the boob anymore but I'm struggling in the day. Part of me thinks I'll leave her to self wean but she's showing no signs of stopping and I really don't want to be feeding her past 2 years old.

People tell me just stop! These people have no idea! It's not that easy when you've got a screaming toddler who just wants comfort and is clawing at your top to get to your boobs!

I have no good advice as I still breastfeed my 2 1/2 year old (30 months) 2x a day (wake and before going to sleep). Mine dropped most feeds independently of my pressure, but certain ones I encouraged just by being out and about at times she might normally ask. So the mid day Naptime one I make sure I'm with her on an errand, on a fun activity trip or in the car. that way she doesn't ask because I don't nurse her outside the home now that she's older

Thank you ladies! I think I need try harder but there are some good tips there for me! She's so random at the moment though so I can't easily predict when she will want a feed. I think it's because of teething.

I'm contemplation stopping with my 14 month old , it's so hard !!!!and I haven't even tried yet lol... I work and during the day unless I'm around she will quite happily go without . Even when I'm there she only feeds maybe once in the afternoon .. But bedtime and night time are a different story . Only I can settle her , she doesn't fall asleep feeding but won't go down until she has a boob feed , then she wakes 2-3 times per night , only for 5 mins or so and settles as soon as she is put down again . She screams the house down if I don't pick her up and feed her and wakes my 3 year old .... She will not settle for oh . She refuses to take a bottle and the rare occasion I have gone anywhere in the evenings if I'm not home by 11 ( usual first wake up ) I'm greeted at the door by little pink boob monster usually screaming , a little blue who has been woken and a very frustrated upset oh who just cannot settle or sooth her . Boob 5 mins and she is back fast asleep ...

I have a family wedding in August I hope to go to alone .. But I need to be sure she will be ok and not hysterical if I leave her overnight with oh without me ...
How do I stop BF now ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"