how to teach 4 year old to wipe properly

LovemyBubx

Mummy, Daddy & Daughter
Reaction score
DD is starting school September (eek!)

She is ready in every aspect apart from wiping her bottom.

She does do it herself a few times but I always use a baby wipe after because she is never clean.

Sometimes it ends up on her back because I have told her to wipe upwards & she's not reaching fully to clean her bottom.

I really don't know how to explain it to her & also how does she know when she's clean?

Hoping for some much needed advice :) xx

I just showed Owen to fold the paper,bend and wipe then check its clean with some fresh paper.Hes just got it in the last few weeks.

We are really struggling with this as well, and I'm really worried about it for school. He just can't get the hang of it at all... I've tried everything. I wonder if he finds it hard on his little toilet seat as his arm doesn't really for, but if he sits on the big seat and let's go to wipe he falls in!!

How about telling him to stand up to wipe?

So glad it is not just my LO who can't do this yet! He tries bless him but just can't do it right!
I'm so worried about him starting school. :(
2 weeks tomorrow. I'm not ready for him to start yet!

Same problem and worry here! Kay is going to kindergarten and still has a hard time wiping her bum. She isn't ready in my opinion though. I will have to open most of her lunch for her, and only wear certain things on her as she still can't zip easily and has a very hard time with her pants buttons. Ugh it's stressful.

I'm actually having this same issue with my 5 year old. She also does everything else fine, even the not napping like she was so used before she started KG. She calls me into the bathroom almost every time she goes at home. A lot of the time, I won't do it for her. I will make her do it, and like another mommy said replying to this, use a baby wipe to get the rest off. But at school, I'm not there to get the remaining stuff. So she comes home and her panties have 'leftovers'. Which also makes it hard to keep good panties around because if it's left all day at school, it won't come out easy in the wash. I'm going to keep track of this post, because she NEEDS to do it on her own.

Good luck! :hugs:

DD is starting school September (eek!)

She is ready in every aspect apart from wiping her bottom.

She does do it herself a few times but I always use a baby wipe after because she is never clean.

Sometimes it ends up on her back because I have told her to wipe upwards & she's not reaching fully to clean her bottom.

I really don't know how to explain it to her & also how does she know when she's clean?

Hoping for some much needed advice :) xx

Makes me feel better knowing she's not the only one.
She's still having trouble doing it herself.
I suppose we just have to keep trying to teach them xx

I got the flushable wipes for her, easier to wipe. I just tell her to lay it flat across her hand and pinch it with her thumb, then do a big wipe upwards pressing hard (but not too hard) and then I do one after to see if it's clean and praise her well done etc :) it's a matter or practice I think! :s good luck xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->