How will i know if i'm pregnant??? (its not a stupid question, honestly! )

Sammy2009

Mum of 1 daughter,1 angel
Reaction score
Last time we had IVF I was given the Progesterone injections (same medication as the trigger shot) It was a milder version but even so can and did cause false BFP's.... I was still testing BFP when I was two days late for AF!

My question is... if i am taking these progesterone shots for several weeks and they contain HCG how will I ever be able to test and know what a true result is since my hospital don't give beta/blood tests! :wacko:

Can anyone help? :hugs:

Sorry I can't help - my progesterone injections are just progesterone and nothing else.

I would ask the clinic about that.

You were give HCG injections, not progesterone - which is why you got a false BFP. Can you not ask to be put back on the progesterone pessaries (though I know you hated these). Are Progesterone In Oil injections an option in Holland.

As for knowing about being pregnant, I guess you'll have to asked to be scanned over and over again. It's a tricky one. If you aren't pregnant will the hcg stay at the same level (or just rise slightly), and if you are it should increase rapidly - though seeing as your hospital are anti-blood tests, they are leaving you in a bit of a pickle!! Does the hospital have any suggestions? I can see why you are concerned.

Good luck with this cycle.

You were give HCG injections, not progesterone - which is why you got a false BFP. Can you not ask to be put back on the progesterone pessaries (though I know you hated these). Are Progesterone In Oil injections an option in Holland.

As for knowing about being pregnant, I guess you'll have to asked to be scanned over and over again. It's a tricky one. If you aren't pregnant will the hcg stay at the same level (or just rise slightly), and if you are it should increase rapidly - though seeing as your hospital are anti-blood tests, they are leaving you in a bit of a pickle!! Does the hospital have any suggestions? I can see why you are concerned.

Good luck with this cycle.

Thanks for replying hun.... hmm yeah tricky one! I was on the pessaries the first time and they were messy but that wasnt my worst problem... i got Cystitus from them and later on when i lost the baby at 24 weeks it was said that this have been due to an infection.... was it the Cystitus? Who knows??? The second IVF i was prescribed them again (much to my disgust) but after a few days I had Cystitus again BAD and had to take some powders which is not advised but i was in that much pain i had no choice. At that point i asked why the heck i was going through this and was there no other choices? Yeah they said... injections... we can give you those! HELLO why wasnt i ever offered these in the beginning?? So, i changed and all was fine. I know the HCG injections are not progesterone but they boost your ovaries into thinking that you are pregnant and therefore they produce the progesterone support but without a blood test I dont know how I will ever know if im pregnant because i know for a fact these injections will bring up a BFP until the last injection has been out my system for at least 4 days - probably longer. I cant see that I have much choice though with 2 times having an infection as this might be dangerous for me and affect the pregnancy like it may have the first time. I cannot risk a termination again, i could not emotionally handle it or would even want to try!

I guess i just have to speak to them after the scan on Saturday but it will mean an 18 day 2WW wait and I hate that. I got a BFP at the equivalent of 10 dpo with my first IVF but now i wont even be able to test because i KNOW it will be the injection...Oil based injections are not an option but i really dont like the thought of these after listening to "Blue's" stories.... EWWWW! i have bought 2 x FRERS and 2 x CB DIGIS as well :dohh:

Sammy, Blue scared me too:haha:

Umm I used to put my pessaries in the other hole, as I too suffer from cysitus (sorry sp!). Have you thought about that?

Sorry ladies - once the clinic halved my doses they were fine. They actually said that people have complained about this many times - but when I complained they decided to change their policy finally and do half suppositories and half injections - way better.

:hugs: sorry.xo

Don't mean to derail, but I'm supposed to have the progesterone in oil injections and am now a bit worried... What's wrong with it? :(

Sammy, Blue scared me too:haha:

Umm I used to put my pessaries in the other hole, as I too suffer from cysitus (sorry sp!). Have you thought about that?

Yes thats a thought... i will ask about this! Thanks :hugs:

Don't mean to derail, but I'm supposed to have the progesterone in oil injections and am now a bit worried... What's wrong with it? :(

Are these the ones in your muscle? If so i would get them changed... QUICK! lol

Blue had these and her stories were horrifying! One day she told me that her DH injected her and the needle was really big and there was a hole where he injected her and all the oil came back out.... I was green at that point. She said they REALLY hurt as well... I would never be able to do those, or receive those injections. Can you get them changed? Maybe if they are not in the muscle then they are ok but i dont know a lot about them really (only that i NEVER want them! :flower:)

Sorry ladies - once the clinic halved my doses they were fine. They actually said that people have complained about this many times - but when I complained they decided to change their policy finally and do half suppositories and half injections - way better.

:hugs: sorry.xo

lol i have only just seen this.... no need to apologise, if it hurts I WANNA KNOW!!! So i can avoid it basically.... :haha::blush:

I'll have to see if they're IM or not. Hmm... Sounds awful. :(

Blue had these and her stories were horrifying! One day she told me that her DH injected her and the needle was really big and there was a hole where he injected her and all the oil came back out.... I was green at that point. She said they REALLY hurt as well... I would never be able to do those, or receive those injections. Can you get them changed? Maybe if they are not in the muscle then they are ok but i dont know a lot about them really (only that i NEVER want them! :flower:)

My progesterone in oil shots hurt much less than the FSH belly shots. Actually, they hurt about as much as a blood draw (hardly at all). But the phlebotomist said that was really weird & my IVF nurse said about 20% of women don't have lots of pain with the shot. Depends on the person, I guess.

My progesterone in oil shots hurt much less than the FSH belly shots. Actually, they hurt about as much as a blood draw (hardly at all). But the phlebotomist said that was really weird & my IVF nurse said about 20% of women don't have lots of pain with the shot. Depends on the person, I guess.

I would greatly like to be in YOUR group then! I PM'd Blue about it and she's responded. Its a bit scary, but I'm hoping that I'll have an easier time with it. I'm not certain I will... but I hope I do. I'm worried my OH won't be able to deal with doing them if he knows they hurt me.

How long do you do them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->