How would you organise bedrooms?

alicecooper

1 girl, 3 boys
Reaction score
I'm trying to sort out what I'm going to do about bedrooms for my kids once the baby is old enough to be out of our room.

So assuming s/he is in with us for a year and a half. That sounds about right for my kids - none of them ever sleep through the night until that age :dohh:

I'll then have :

a 9 year old DD
a 7 year old DS
a 5 year old DS

and a 1.5 year old child, which may be female or male I really don't know.

Now if it's a male, logically the three boys would be in together in the bigger room, in some sort of triple-height bunk), and DD would be by herself in the single room...

I THINK

Or would it be fairer to have the baby by himself, and put DD and her two brothers in together, given that they'll have school, and I wouldn't want the youngest one to disturb them in the night when they have to get up early in the morning?

Then if it's a girl, again logically you'd think DS1 and DS2 would be in together, and DD would be sharing with the baby.
But would it really be sensible to have a 9 year old sharing with an 18 month old?

Then there's the other option of having DD and DS1 sharing (they are sharing at the moment - they have shared most of their lives really, they're used to each other - they have the closest age gap of only 22 months between them)....

and putting DS2 and the baby (regardless of gender) together.

God I don't know it's so complicated! :dohh:

WWYD?

Current situation is DD and DS1 are in bunks together in the bigger room, and DS2 is by himself in the box room.

This is the rooms I've got to work with :

315874_10100295567035069_1464025056_n.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/XenaGlamRocker/SAM_1584.jpg

37374_854693142909_353678_n.jpg

Maybe you should ask them for a bit of input, to get an idea of what they prefer?

You have a bit of time to think about it, so it will probably seem obvious closer to the time.

Maybe you should ask them for a bit of input, to get an idea of what they prefer?

You have a bit of time to think about it, so it will probably seem obvious closer to the time.

I've asked DD and she says if the baby is a girl she wants to share with her. I'm not sure she quite appreciates what it'll be like sharing with a toddler though.

You're right maybe it'll seem more obvious later on.

My friend was in the same situation as you, she had both boys in the box room, in bunks, and the girl and baby together, the girl was 11 I think at the time, and she loved sharing with baby. It has never been a problem for them.

I had this problem, i have an 8 year old boy and a6 year old girl and then a boy who is nearly 2. The 2 boys share and its fine. Everyone is happy :)

Hope u find a way tht works for u hun x

My 11 year old shares with my 3 (on Tuesday) year old. They have been in together since Lana move out of our room at 27 months

Leah just watches tv in our bedroom in the evenings so she doesn't disturb her sister, she also has a drawer in my room to keep her make up things and nail varnish etc so Lana can't get hold if it

I would wait and see
1) the gender of the baby
2)how things change before the time comes.9year old might mature a lot and not want to share by then.

Im having 7yr old girl with 3 yr old boy in bunks as 11 yr old boy has small room and has computer things lo could mess with,and doesnt play toys anymore.7yr old girl is more suited to play with lo and likes the idea of sharing.To me it doesnt matter about ages/genders as long as they are happy with how it is.

I would ask them what they would like to do.

Then wait and see what the gender is and you'll still have a year at least to plan and organize where they are all going.

Personally I would have the boys share and DD have her own room then if the baby is a girl go in with DD, if a boy go in with the boys.

I would ask them what they want to do.

One thing you might need to think about - i don't know if it's an issue of not really - but where do you stand legally on having children i different sexes sharing a room? I thought that there was an age issue - like say a 12yo girl wouldn't be able to share with a boy etc. As i say, i don't know if there is anything legally but it would be worth looking into.

I would ask them what they want to do.

One thing you might need to think about - i don't know if it's an issue of not really - but where do you stand legally on having children i different sexes sharing a room? I thought that there was an age issue - like say a 12yo girl wouldn't be able to share with a boy etc. As i say, i don't know if there is anything legally but it would be worth looking into.

Pretty sure that it's only a legal issue in a rented accommodation. In a privately owned house I don't think there's any problem.

edited to add : yeah I just looked it up and I'm right. At least for the UK anyway.
It would be totally impractical to have a law like that. Big families who can't afford to buy huge houses would be totally screwed ;)

Thanks for clarifying. I knew that somewhere it was the law but wasn't sure if it was council/rented/owned etc.

If that is the case then as i said before ask your children what they'd prefer and if DD and DS1 are happy share then you could do that. But i would assume that at some point they would probably prefer not to share.

My children are slightly younger than yours, eldest is 5 youngest is 2 and they have been sharing a room for the last 7 months and they both love it :) both boys though so room is always a dump, mainly caused by my youngest. Should you end up with 2 girls sharing, fingers crossed your eldest may help keep the room tidy :-D x

My boys share too and toys r everywhere all the time lol dread when ghey r teenagers lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->