Hungry baby formula

Noodlebear

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
Hello ladies :flower:

I've posted before about how my little monkey has hollow legs, we've managed to keep him on SMA gold but we're pushing it now. He has 9 oz bottles and I was considering putting him on hungry baby milk BUT I'm not sure if it's going to help with what we need it for.

I was under the impression that where it's a little harder to digest it just keeps them full for longer not that it actually fills them up more while they're feeding? He goes anywhere between 3 and 5 hrs between feeds so that isn't really our issue, it's that he constantly wants more milk and could happily have a whole bottle and haf of another at every feed.

Opinions and advice would be appreciated and I apologise for the stupid question lol :) x

I would keep him on first milk for as long as you can :flower:

My little man has 9oz bottles as well and will go 3-5 hours too, his last bottle though he will easily have 10-11oz!

I tried a week or so ago and gave him a few cartons of hungry baby milk and didn't actually notice any difference and he still ate as fregquently :shrug:

Not sure if I have helped but definitely in a similar position!

It's helpful to hear from someone who has tried already, thank you. We've really been dragging it out and he's lasted about 3 weeks longer than I thought he would on his first milk but he's starting to really grump at the end of each bottle lol. Last week he polished off 13 oz and was still sucking the empty bottle!
I dunno where he puts it all! Lol x

Forgot to say that as LO is nearing 5 months my options are hungry baby formula or begin weaning. Didn't really want to wean but obviously if hungry baby isn't going to help and first milk isn't satisfying him it's just the next step x

Is there a reason that you can't just give more milk? Hungry baby formula will trick him into feeling full but not give him extra calories. If he's feeling hungry (and is otherwise healthy) it's because his body needs the calories, so hungry baby milk will not really give him what he needs. Similarly with solids, they will keep his tummy feeling full for longer but not give him the calories he needs.

If you don't want to give more than 9oz in one go, can you offer another bottle a bit later? IIRC my oldest was taking maybe 6oz in a feed but that was every 2 hours, so it's really no different. I would personally just follow his lead - if he wants more milk, just give it to him :)

Forgot to say that as LO is nearing 5 months my options are hungry baby formula or begin weaning. Didn't really want to wean but obviously if hungry baby isn't going to help and first milk isn't satisfying him it's just the next step x

You boy sounds exactly like what my son was like at 5 months, he didn't seem satisfied after his bottle. We had tried the hungry baby but it gave him constipation and after a week he was still hungry after his bottles.

I still held out to 6 months before weaning him through, he was probably glad to see food! and he seemed much more satisfied :flower:

Is there a reason that you can't just give more milk? Hungry baby formula will trick him into feeling full but not give him extra calories. If he's feeling hungry (and is otherwise healthy) it's because his body needs the calories, so hungry baby milk will not really give him what he needs. Similarly with solids, they will keep his tummy feeling full for longer but not give him the calories he needs.

If you don't want to give more than 9oz in one go, can you offer another bottle a bit later? IIRC my oldest was taking maybe 6oz in a feed but that was every 2 hours, so it's really no different. I would personally just follow his lead - if he wants more milk, just give it to him :)

Thank you :) I've tried offering more bottles. He had his 9oz then i decided to try and break up the others so gave him 6oz about 2 hrs later and made up another 6oz for a few hours after that. He screamed blue bloody murder after the second 6oz so that doesn't work. I just figured that if he needs 2 bottles for every feed and can easily have 13oz a time that his formula just isn't doing the trick.

Edit : I've done everything baby led and plan to continue I've just gotten to a stage where something else needs to happen. Hv wants me to give him hungry baby, I want to hear other people's experiences and make a decision for myself.

My LO is on the extra hungry SMA and it has suited her well from day one. Well better than the others anyway. We still have issues with her being sick a lot but no other formula stays down better than this one. She's a very hungry baby but we have to give her 5oz every 3 hours. Any more than that and she sicks up most of the feed.

You boy sounds exactly like what my son was like at 5 months, he didn't seem satisfied after his bottle. We had tried the hungry baby but it gave him constipation and after a week he was still hungry after his bottles.

I still held out to 6 months before weaning him through, he was probably glad to see food! and he seemed much more satisfied :flower:[/QUOTE

Oh bless him lol. I desperately want to wait :haha:

My LO is on the cow and gate hungry baby she has always been a frequent feeder but she went from feeding every 2 hours to every hour or less and was taking in that much milk she couldnt take in anymore but was still hungry so we switched and she is back to having a bottle every 2 hours and is much more content. Also dont know if its related but she used to have very bad diarrhea or poo fountains (sorry TMI) as OH liked to call them which have thankfully stopped now.

I think switching to hungry baby milk would be a better option than early weaning. The hungry baby milk will be more calorie and nutrient rich than first weaning foods.
People do say that hungry baby milk can cause constipation, but so can weaning, and I think its better to try and wait to as close as 6 months as possible to introduce food. xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->