Husband wants first scan on Xmas eve. Good/bad idea?

hopefulfor1st

Mummy to Jace & NTNP #2
Reaction score
He wants to tell family Xmas day so leave it as late as possible to get early scan so it looks more baby and less blobby.
I'm just worried if something is wrong it will ruin christmas (and my sons first Xmas)

What would u do?!
Otherwise I was gonna get it the 17th (when ill be 7-8 weeks)

So will you be about 8-9 weeks then? Because baby could still look a little blobby. My avatar pic is a ten week scan. Granted it's awful quality, but we won't go there as I'm still super angry!! Anyway, I'm not sure I can answer that question. I think maybe it's a very personal choice. Would you be able to put a brave face on for Xmas even if you had terrible news the week before instead of the day before? It's such a romantic idea though, announcing on Xmas day.
Sorry, I'm not much use am I?!

I'm going today at 8 weeks - mostly because then if we see a heartbeat the risks greatly reduce... Not sure there is a massive difference from 8 weeks to 10 weeks - but I can see both sides.

I *think* I would be positive and say ok Christmas Eve, because it IS going to be alright... easy to say I know but the odds are in your favour.

Yeah well the thing is I have to have a dating scan regardless. No LMP to go by (pcos) I had ewcm and cramping and a pos opk 4th nov, but then I had cramping again on the 12th that felt like ov and I got my BFP on the 21st.... So either it took 16 days for my BFP to show up (frer and 1-2 digi on the 22nd) OR I geared up to ov on the 4th but didn't and then oved on the 12th meaning I was 9 dpo when I got a pos frer, so I could be 4+3 or 5+4 ? (I've based my ticker on the earliest possible) so my doc wants me to have a dating scan when ill be 6.5-7 weeks minimum to make sure we see a HB and 7 is the 17th dec exactly.

I guess also I don't know if I want to take away from Jace on his first christmas.

We had our 12 week scan with Isabella New Year's Eve (2010!) we were so super worried incase anything was wrong but we couldn't rearrange as they were full. We went and everything was fine however it was scary as we would have had to put brave faces on and face the whole family on nye regardless of the outcome if you see what I mean.

From what you've said about the dating issues and your sons first Xmas I would personally go with the 17th. It's also what you doc has advised. But ultimately you've got to do what feels right.

I just told him that's what I wanna do :)
I think the earlier the more accurate, but I don't want to do it sooner and stress if there's no hb. I think it's more likely that I ovulated later and got a BFP at 9dpo than 16dpo (plus the digi concurred with that date)

I'd definitely go on 17th. If something was wrong then it would spoil Christmas and every Christmas each year after that u would remember it. I hope everything is fine :)

Xxx

We wanted an early scan as close to Christmas as possible, so booked for dec 19th. I didn't want to do it on Christmas Eve.... Think you've made the right choice. Even though everything will be fine for both of us :) x

I have my scan Christmas Eve, I was hoping to have it earlier but can't as hubs is working away & doesn't come back until 23rd.
I've not really thought of anything being wrong when I go for the scan, I'm trying to just think positive, but if anything was wrong, as devastated as I'd be, Christmas would have to carry on as normal for my 4 year old.
You need to do what feels right for you X

^^
I have to have a dating scan as I have no idea how far along I'd be (explained on prev page) there's an 8 day variance.
My LMP was oct 5 but I either oved around cd34 or cd41
Plus as I took clomid there's a higher chance of multiples, and due to previous loss my doc likes to do a viability scan anyway.
And if I wait til 12 weeks dating will not be accurate.

It was a romantic idea to have it on Christmas Eve but I've decided it's not something I wanna risk ruining christmas if its bad.

I would go the week later and tell family in the new year.

I just booked a scan for xmas eve. I really want to do an 8 week scan because I've had a mmc before and there is no worse feeling than knowing you've been carrying around a baby that died and all the while were happy and oblivious. It's very hard to think of anything else... It was much easier with my first pregnancy. I chose xmas eve because I will be 8 weeks exactly and I want to know before xmas in case I crack and tell someone. If the baby doesn't survive I will have three days surrounded by family for support (hopefully: they may not be keen on this baby but love me anyways) As for bad memories... I had waited 8 weeks to tell my family about my second pregnancy because it was fathers day and I thought it would be a fun surprise... I found out fathers day morning that the baby had died ( I went to emergency the night before due to bleeding). Im glad that I will always remember when it happened because ultimately it was still my child if not physically at least mentally.

So besides all that, if it is a necessary dating scan earlier is better in case they need to book a second for comparison.

I just booked a scan for xmas eve. I really want to do an 8 week scan because I've had a mmc before and there is no worse feeling than knowing you've been carrying around a baby that died and all the while were happy and oblivious. It's very hard to think of anything else... It was much easier with my first pregnancy. I chose xmas eve because I will be 8 weeks exactly and I want to know before xmas in case I crack and tell someone. If the baby doesn't survive I will have three days surrounded by family for support (hopefully: they may not be keen on this baby but love me anyways) As for bad memories... I had waited 8 weeks to tell my family about my second pregnancy because it was fathers day and I thought it would be a fun surprise... I found out fathers day morning that the baby had died ( I went to emergency the night before due to bleeding). Im glad that I will always remember when it happened because ultimately it was still my child if not physically at least mentally.

So besides all that, if it is a necessary dating scan earlier is better in case they need to book a second for comparison.

My thoughts are if the baby has died and you need a d&c and you find out on Xmas eve you will probably be scheduled to get it after Xmas and I don't wanna be carrying a deceased fetus on Xmas day until they can d&c. At least if I find out on the 17th(7 weeks) that something is wrong there's time to have the procedure b4 Christmas Day.

My thoughts are if the baby has died and you need a d&c and you find out on Xmas eve you will probably be scheduled to get it after Xmas and I don't wanna be carrying a deceased fetus on Xmas day until they can d&c. At least if I find out on the 17th(7 weeks) that something is wrong there's time to have the procedure b4 Christmas Day.

I'd be very surprised if they booked a D&C at 7 weeks based on one scan. I certainly wouldn't accept it at that stage although I would accept it was almost inevitable. At that stage whilst there should be a heartbeat to see it is still very early especially if implantation is delayed etc etc? Usually they would repeat a scan a week later anyway. It is generally recommended here at least to wait until closer to 9 weeks before D&C unless it's a case of seeing a heart beat and then it passing or a sac shrinking etc.

Hopefully this is a moot point and you will see a lovely healthy bean on 17th

I'm in a similar position but a bit further along. I had a MMC at 11 weeks before so don't want a scan any earlier than that but also don't want to go all over Christmas (Emilia's first too) not knowing and worrying so have booked it as close to Christmas as I could. Saying that however I don't think Christmas Eve would have been my choice either and I think that just because baby will look a but more blobby on the 17th shouldn't make you change the date. We aren't gonna use the scan pic to announce we have taken a picture of Emilia holding a chalk board saying "I'm going to be a big sister Juky 2014" and have put a copy in Christmas cards to give out on Christmas Day.
If it's bad news then at least there's a few days before Christmas to perhaps have a D&C but it will mean I'm focused on Emilia rather than worrying if this new baby is ok either way.
My scan is the 20th by the way.

I agree with other PP's that the 17th is better x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"