Hypermobility and exercise

emyandpotato

Reaction score
Sorry, this isn't really for here as LO has developed quite rapidly of late and his delays are no longer as severe as they were, but I thought I'd get more people who know what they're talking about here than on any other board.

Rory has hypermobility, which I've known for about six months. He went to the paediatrician in our new area last month with OH as I couldn't go. I just found out in detail what was said as we got a written paediatric report. Anyway the doctor has said he has severe hypermobility in his hips, knees and ankles, and also in his arms, particularly the wrists, and in his fingers (I didn't even know this was a thing TBH!). This is apparently coupled but an under-development of muscle tone??

Anyway he can't walk that far without hurting, and isn't great at sports. I wanted to get him to take some exercise classes to strengthen his joints and muscles, and also because he doesn't get much exercise with not being able to walk far. He enjoys football but there's no football classes around here. He already goes swimming. I was thinking maybe dance or gymnastics as he's very in to dancing and climbing. Do you think these would be appropriate? And which would potentially be better for him?

I think swimming may be a very good form of exercise. My son has severe hms too and hypotonia. I thought gymnastics may be good but my son had rebound therapy (on a trampoline) and he dislocated his knee :(

Generally I just let him run as he pleases when we're at the park or whatever. He does fall a lot but he knows his limits and will use his chair when he's tired. Pain unfortunately is something I don't think we can get away from.

I think swimming may be a very good form of exercise. My son has severe hms too and hypotonia. I thought gymnastics may be good but my son had rebound therapy (on a trampoline) and he dislocated his knee :(

Generally I just let him run as he pleases when we're at the park or whatever. He does fall a lot but he knows his limits and will use his chair when he's tired. Pain unfortunately is something I don't think we can get away from.

That's awful, poor Thomas!

I know :( We still go on the trampoline with him but we really have to control how long he's on there and sometimes even how he jumps.

My daughter is hyper mobile and goes to gymnastics, it does make her really tired after but Iv noticed a difference in her muscle strength

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->