Hypnobirthing book?!? Opinions from those with hypnobirthing experience please :)

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Okay, so since I'm terrified of the pain that I feel will inevitably be associated with the birth of my DS, I want to try to get my anxiety about it under control as much as I can before the big day. I want to go into it trusting my body and not fighting the process by being too tense and stressed. I don't know much about hypnobirthing, and I tend to puke a little in my mouth when things are too "preachy" or super earth-mothery :haha: ...but I do appreciate the benefits of yoga, meditation, and deep breathing to manage pain and stress (I just don't love when it's presented in a cheesy way!)

Basically, I'm wondering if reading a hypnobirthing book and listening to the accompanying CD would help me prepare for birth. I'm thinking of ordering this book:
https://www.amazon.ca/Hypnobirthing...rthing/dp/0757302661/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Or am I really missing out by not taking a class? (I really don't have time to take the class on top of my regular couples prenatal class). Is 6.5 weeks before my EDD too late to bother with the book/getting a good grasp on hypnobirthing techniques? And do people who haven't ruled out an epidural still benefit from implementing hypnobirthing techniques (I would imagine they do...although it seems like hypnobirthers obviously advocate for a natural birth - which I'm on the fence about still!)

Any insight from those who have tried hypnobirthing literature and/or classes would be so appreciated! Thanks :flower:

I read a hypnobirthing book last time and it did really help put me in the right mindframe for giving birth, I didn't go to any classes, i would have liked to though. The breathing techniques are quite different from what they teach it antinatal classes and more difficult to do when having contractions, very slow, i found it almost impossible to breath that slowly during intense pain, but in between the contractions i composed myself again. I would say give it a try, I'll be doing it again this time.

I picked it up at about 33 weeks because of a friend's recommendation. I am NOT planning on a natural birth. But there is still a lot of guidance in the book that helped me get me mind in a better place about the pain :) I think it has been pretty helpful :)

My friend did this when she had her second and she absolutley swears that she felt next to no pain because she was so in control of her body. i had planned on reading up on it and now here we are 33 weeks down the line and i havent yet! perhaps i might this week - anythings worth a go right?!

For me it was brilliant. I have the cd boxset and managed to get to 5cm at home with a back to back labour. I was doing really well focusing on music and breathing until my DH disturbed me to see if I was okay. Although didn't really help with active labour x

I read that book and did the classes before my first birth. I found the book very good. The class wasn't all that necessary for me but my partner (who insisted on calling it "hippy-birthing :haha: ) actually found it a good way to feel more involved.

I really credit it with helping me go in with a very relaxed, "I can handle anything" mindset. And I could - two epidural-free births!

Truthfully, I did not find the techniques very useful in the later stages of birth for pain management, but they were very good in the early stages. (In the later stages, my ujjayi breath from yoga was most useful.)

And even though Marie Mongan's voice takes a bit of getting used to on the CD, I ended up loving the guided relaxations and affirmations! They really do relax you! I use them every now when I am having trouble sleeping. Just pop in earbuds, put one on the iPod and I am out like a light in a couple of minutes.

We're doing a hypnobirthing class, which I do recommend! However, if you don't have time, reading the book does help (it's better than nothing).
We were given this book

We don't practice enough, I need to get back to it, tomorrow is our last class :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->