Hypothyroidism

DeniseX

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
So, I had my precious daughter last July- To get pregnant I needed provera to start my period followed by Clomid to make me ovulate. Noone looked into why I wasn't having my period my OB just threw medication at me which luckily worked. I had a regular period from 13-20, then it just decided to stop cold turkey and didn't come back until forced to with the prover when we were TTC. After I had my daughter I bled for 6 weeks, then had a period at 8 weeks after giving birth... then nothing again. So I went to my new OB and he ran some basic hormone panels- one of which was a TSH for my thyroid; my level came back at 7.3 which is high. I guess anything over 4 is high. so my thyroid is under active. He said I would probably have to continue to use provera to induce periods and he recommends having one every 3 months and to follow up with my GP... so I made an appointment for the 21st of this month. Hypothyroid explains so much though and I can't believe no doctor thought to test me prior. I have history of depression, and anxiety, MY normal weight is 100-110 max... before I got pregnant I was around 125, now i'm pushing 130. So noticeable weight gain (I'm only 5'4" so it is noticeable... while it's still a healthy "normal" weight, it's not my normal weight) the weight absolutely will not budge- not with diet, not with exercise. I'm very irritable and have been for a long time. I'm forgetful. I feel like a poster child for this! I'm just hoping my GP is willing to listen and medicate me, as I've heard a lot of stories from people with levels similar to mine and their doctors won't do anything for them. (and I need a referral for my insurance to cover an endocrinologist.) I thought about printing out the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists latest report stating anything over 3 is too high, and people with a proper function thyroid should be around 1-2. This came just in time, as DH and I are talking about TTC again (not immediately) but it'd be nice to get this under control so it'd be a lot simpler because I would never be able to conceive with levels this high. Looking for some support, maybe someone else who can relate and let me know what to expect or whats going on as I haven't a clue! :dohh:

So did they not discuss putting you on thyroid meds instead? Just curious. My friend had to have her's removed- so she's been on meds ever since. And if her meds are off (high or low) it can drastically affect so much- weight/mood/energy... to name a few.

Not sure if there is a more natural way to control your thyroid- my friend has to take meds because her's was removed, but maybe there is something else to be done since you have one and it's just not functioning properly? Perhaps speak to a naturopathic doctor... or get another opinion. But it can't hurt to ask about thyroid meds and if that would make more sense? I am surprised they didn't check that before too- that one one of the first things my doc ran tests on when we were having fertility issues... but turns out I had a very low egg reserve.

Congrats on your LO btw ;) Lovely when things work out that way.

I am 42 but I have been on meds since I was 35. I had all the things you have and I really thought I was suffering from depression, it was my thyroid. You should definitely be on meds. I am on 100mg of Synthroid, they have to be taken for life, I get tested every 3 to 6 months to make sure my levels are good. If your levels are high it can cause infertility and if a woman does get pregnant with high levels it can cause a miscarriage. I felt like a poster child also, there are SO many symptoms associated with the Thyroid that they can be mistaken for depression, it is unbelievable. I am glad you caught on and now you know you have this, next step is talking to your doctor and seeing if meds is what is needed. Good Luck XO

I havent anything along the line of you sweet but i have a heart condition which is medicated. looking at causing more risk to me than a future baby which is great but i was totally in the dark about this until yesterday when i went to ask about TTC again.

So in a sense, i feel the stress of not being totally 'Normal'!! xxxx

Ive dealt with hypothryoid my entire life.
But every time i am postpartum i get what is known as postpartum thyroiditis.
And the symptoms you mentioned whilist being PP are exactly what happened to me. I would urge you to explore this. Women who have thyroid issues previous to pregnancy are more at risk for getting postpartum thyroiditis. So far ive had it every time im PP. Im pretty much convinced i'll get it this time around too. Its tough to catch bc it changes around 2 months PP and then again around 5 months (varies per perosn though). And if you dont have the right doctor, they wont even pick up on it. In fact my old PCP thought i had Hashimotos. But then i went to the endocrinologist and thats where he said it was indeed PP Thryoiditis. My hypo thyroid stuck around after dealing with PP thryoiditis, but its not Hashimotos. My point is, def see if you can get an endo to look into things. Ive been put through a lot bc the average doctor just doesn't understand thyroid issues, in general, i hvae no regrets going with an Endo.

My endocrinologist says anything over 3.5 is low ("regular" doctors tend to let this number be higher, but endocrinologist are very adament that it stays at lower-not too low though). I would highly recommend getting a doctor to listen to you and getting it treated. I would also read up on PP thryoiditis as well bc it sounds like maybe that could be going on (im not a doctor though, but knowledge is power).

I totally forgot to mention this, but my Endo follows my thryoid bloods during pregnancy like a hawk. it is extremly important, especially durng pregnancy that it is regulated in a normal manner. During pregnancy his standards of a good thyroid function is much more strict. For instance, in a non pregnant person he would want it be 1.5-3.5. But during the first trimester, he wants it to be more like 1.5-2.0 and then in the second tri he wants it more like 2.0-2.5 So with you being pregnant, i would highly implore you to get another opinion and preferably from an Endo if at all possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->