I am ill, will it pass to LO in BM

Snowleopard79

Reaction score
I breast feed with occasional bottle. I have diarrhoea (no vomiting yet) and stomach cramps. LO is ok at moment, is ok to continue BF?? I have small stash of expressed milk I could use or do a couple of formula feeds ( my mum is coming to help out). If I express will the milk have the bug in and pass on, as was wondering about avoiding contact with LO and expressing???

Any help would be great

There is no reason to stop breastfeeding while you are ill. It is actually better to continue because your breastmilk will have anti-bodies for whatever you are fighting (unless it is just food poisoning or something like that). If you are sick then your baby has most likely already been exposed to whatever it is that made you sick, so also no real reason to keep away. Just make sure to keep extra good hygiene, of course and wash hands often, just like whenever you are normally sick.

Whenever I was sick with lo I always continued to breastfeed and I noticed that either lo didn't get sick at all or she got sick but it was much milder than what I had.

Hope you feel better soon! :)

Forgot to post the link. :)

https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/illness-surgery/mom-illness/

I thought I'd read that it is best to continue feeding when ill.

Here is what the womenshealth.gov says

"Can I breastfeed if I am sick?

Some women think that when they are sick, they should not breastfeed. But, most common illnesses, such as colds, flu, or diarrhea, can't be passed through breast milk. In fact, if you are sick, your breast milk will have antibodies in it. These antibodies will help protect your baby from getting the same sickness.

Breastfeeding is not advised if the mother:

Has been infected with HIV or has AIDS. If you have HIV and want to give your baby breast milk, you can contact a human milk bank.
Is taking antiretroviral medications.
Has untreated, active tuberculosis.
Is infected with human T-cell lymphotropic virus type I or type II.
Is taking prescribed cancer chemotherapy agents, such as antimetabolites, that interfere with DNA replication and cell division.
Is undergoing radiation therapies; but, such nuclear medicine therapies require only a temporary break from breastfeeding." x

Just be really careful with hand hygiene but yeah carry on feeding.

Carry on feeding. Your body will be producing antibodies which your LO will get through the milk to protect from the illness. Get well soon :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->