I am on a search for...

x__amour

Mommy.
Reaction score
The best spaghetti meat sauce recipe ever. I've seriously tried at least 20+ recipes and have yet to find "the one". Pretty sure my family is getting sick of spaghetti but I want to find the perfect one! :haha:

Any suggestions? :flower:

I use cirio passata, onion, garlic, horseradish, tom puree, basil, stock cube/pot, oregano, and simmer for a while til it thickens. You can add splash of red wine too.
Either add meatballs or browned ground beef - must be from waitrose service counter as it really cooks down fine. Then cook it all together for at least half an hour with a lid on in the oven.
Xx

I use, 1 onion, 2 garlic cloves, mushrooms, half a red pepper all chopped. Fry them all off, add minced beef and fry untill browned I then add 1 tbsp of tomato puree, a carton of passata tomato sauce with herbs and a tsp of ketchup! I also sometimes add a splash of red wine. Then simmer for 30 minutes, served with spaghetti and a sprinkle of cheese!

I was watching a cooking programme and I believe they said the traditional recipe had both beef and lamb mince in

12 ounces spaghetti
1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons dried minced onion
2 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
1 1/3 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms

Brown ground beef and drain, add ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.

This is mine right now and it's good but I want something mind blowing. :haha:

Thanks for the suggestions! :flower:

Definitely add a little spoon of mustard, horseradish or marmite and replace the salt with stock for flavour.
If I add mushrooms I use chestnut mushrooms and pad it out with a handful of lentils is nice if you're cooking a long time.
I prefer to simmer the sauce for a while on its own on the hob first before adding to the beef I find the flavor improves.
Xx

I use onion, garlic, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, a tea spoon or 2 of brown sugar to offset the acidity of the tomatoes, herbs and a tablespoon of soy sauce. It works :)

Pretty much the same as everyone elses but I always add a dash of chili powder and a good glug of lemon juice

There was a thread on here not long ago and a load of people recommended adding chopped bacon to it- tastes amazing!

I actually found an amazing one in an annabel karmel baby recipe book,

It's
Passata
Chopped onion
Dried herbs
Garlic
1 tin of tomatoes
Half a butternut squash
A handful of grated cheddar
Chopped pancetta

Lightly blitz ( you don't have too put I like it smooths then add a t spoon of double cream if you like it creamy if not a dash of red wine and simmer x

I fry garlic and onion then add the mince until brown

Then

Tomato purée
Tin tomatoes.
Beef stock
Bay leaf
Oregano
Glass red wine
Worcester sauce
Little bit of cayenne chilli
Red peppers
Mushrooms

Simmer for two hrs

When finished I sprinkle a good cheese on top

I use good wine, good beef etc as it makes a difference

Its lovely

12 ounces spaghetti
1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano

I would suggest replacing the onion, mushrooms and garlic with fresh versions, switching to soft brown sugar instead of white and adding a swig of balsamic or red wine vinegar.

12 ounces spaghetti
1 pound lean ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon white sugar
1 teaspoon dried oregano

I would suggest replacing the onion, mushrooms and garlic with fresh versions, switching to soft brown sugar instead of white and adding a swig of balsamic or red wine vinegar.

Sometimes I do switch out the produce for fresh versions and it definitely makes a difference. Will have to try the other switches as well! :D

Fry Light (for spraying saucepan)
8 shallots, (diced)
4 garlic cloves (crushed)
800g-1kg extra lean minced beef
3 packets baby button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
2 cans chopped tomatoes
568ml beef stock
4 level tbsp worcestershire sauce
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 full packet spaghetti
4 tbsp tomato puree
cheddar cheese (grated)

1) spray a frying pan with Fry Light and cook the shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes until just softened.

2) stir in the mince and cook for a further 2-4 minutes until browned.

3) transfer the above mixture to a casserole pan.

4) fry the mushrooms in the frying pan (draining off any excess water whilst cooking) until browned.

5) transfer the mushrooms to the casserole pan.

6) Add the chopped tomatoes, stock, worcestershire sauce and tomato puree. season lightly and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until reduced and thickened. Check the seasoning.

7) Whilst the bolognese is simmering, cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling water, as per the packet instructions, until just tender.
Drain and divide between plates.

8) Top with the bolognese sauce and sprinkle with grated cheddar cheese as required.

(makes a lot)

Chuck a bay leaf in and use good quality tomatoes and mince.

I agree with PPs on red wine and pancetta/bacon. I find wine totally transforms meals and gives them that 'can't put my finger on it' amazing depth and flavour.

A 'proper' ragu should have milk in it, too, although I don't bother.

We use half ground beef and half ground sausage, whichever kind you like best. The kind I use adds a bit of spice and nice sage flavor :)

We use half ground beef and half ground sausage, whichever kind you like best. The kind I use adds a bit of spice and nice sage flavor :)

I use beef and sausage too, I like the bit of added spiciness from the sausage. Definitely agree with using fresh rather than canned too, from pp. Most of the time, I'm in too much of a hurry to bother, but if I'm really putting the effort into it, I will use fresh everything, including fresh herbs. Fresh herbs would also make a HUGE difference, as the flavor is so much better than dried.

ETA: When I use fresh herbs, I also chop up the rest, and freeze them in ice cube trays with a bit of water for the next time I need them. Once frozen, I pop them into a freezer bag labeled with the kind of herb it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->